Schubert and his circle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schubert and his circle

I have just received a fantastic CD produced by Toccata Classics: Schubert and his circle. Featured on this CD:

Schubert piano sonata in C major, D.840, "Reliquie," completed by the world renown Schubert scholar Brian Newbould.
    Schubert 13 variations on a theme by Anselm Huttenbrenner, D.576.
    Anselm Huttenbrenner piano sonata in E major, opus 16.
    Schubert German dance in C# minor, D.643.
    Joseph Huttenbrenner "Dance of the Furies," in C# minor.

All the above performed by pianist Todd Crow. The "Reliquie" and the 2 Huttenbrenner works are world premiere recordings.

Fantastic music!! Absolutely breath-taking!!
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Dear Hofrat,
    this sounds interesting. I once heard of completed 4th movement of the Relique sonata which however was not convincing at all and I understood why Schubert quit composing it. Is this movement completed by Newbould really that good? What in particular is "breathtaking" about this CD as you put it?

Comment

There have been two previous attempts at completing "Reliquie" but Newbould seems to have captured the spirit of Schubert. One of the "breath-taking" aspects of this work is its length: 44 minutes. Another is its delicacy throughout this length.
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
        I have just received a fantastic CD produced by Toccata Classics: Schubert and his circle. Featured on this CD:

Schubert piano sonata in C major, D.840, "Reliquie," completed by the world renown Schubert scholar Brian Newbould.
        Newbould a member of Schubert's circle? Groundbreaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
          There have been two previous attempts at completing "Reliquie" but Newbould seems to have captured the spirit of Schubert.
          Why do you say that? Schubert, like all great artists, was a free spirit.

Comment

Working...
          X