My first Beethoven symphony!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Beethoven symphony!

I am so raped that I am finally going to my fist listening of A Beethoven symphony! (his third) By the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra! They are also playing Mozarts' concerto for flute and Harp and the "Overture to the Silken Ladder" By Rossinni. Best seats in the hous (and the most expensive) I am just asking out of curiosity what was your first Beethoven Symphony that you saw LIVE. I always thought that mine was going to be the Fifth,but oh well. Thankyou for your reply!

Beethoven rocks!

oboe_15
    Beethoven and all composers Rock!

The entire 5th symphony. It was what got me interested in Beethoven, doing that piece for Marching Band, and then hearing the high school's symphony orchestra perform it. The next year, they played the 2nd movement of the 7th, and recently, I heard the Huron Symphony Orchestra perform the 1rst Symphony live.

Bob

------------------
    I am not a number, I am a free man!
    Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

It was the Ninth for me. I had always wanted to see that live and it was great! The soloists (all from Europe) were wonderful. They even had a pre-performance program where you could ask the soloists and some of the musicians questions. Very interesting. Since then I have seen live The Fifth (twice)
      and the 1st. Enjoy your concert.
      Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 07-03-2001).]
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by oboe_15:
        I am just asking out of curiosity what was your first Beethoven Symphony that you saw LIVE. I always thought that mine was going to be the Fifth,but oh well. Thankyou for your reply!

Beethoven rocks!

oboe_15
        For me it was the 1st symphony and I took part in the performance as a violinist with my local youth orchestra.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          It was the Ninth for me. I had always wanted to see that live and it was great! The soloists (all from Europe) were wonderful. They even had a pre-performance program where you could ask the soloists and some of the musicians questions. Very interesting. Since then I have seen live The Fifth (twice)
          and the 1st. Enjoy your concert.
          Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 07-03-2001).]
          Were you allowed to talk to them after the concert too?

Bob

------------------
          Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oboe_15:
            [B]I am so raped that I am finally going to my fist listening of A Beethoven symphony!

Well, I have just seen my own typing error! And I am not "raped" that I am going to a concert, I am "rapped"! So sorry for the mistake. Over here in New Zealand (Blenheim) we have just been throught a drought and now through a cold patch, and my typing skilss have suffered! Again, so sorry for the mistake!

Beethoven Rocks!

oboe_15
            Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:
              Were you allowed to talk to them after the concert too?

Bob
              No, this was about an hour before the concert. They did take some questions from the audience though.
              Joy

Comment

Well, I have just seen my own typing error! And I am not "raped" that I am going to a concert, I am "rapped"! So sorry for the mistake.

Beethoven Rocks!

oboe_15
                Just pleased it wasn't more serious !

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                  No, this was about an hour before the concert. They did take some questions from the audience though.
                  Joy
                  So, you were able to talk to them before the performance, but not after, when you could have commented on their performance and made constructive criticism and\or helpful compliments?

Bob

------------------

Comment

It was the 9th at Tanglewood (Boston Symphony's summer home) with the BSO under Erich Leinsdorf--I remember that one of the soloists was Beverly Sills--all on my birthday! An unforgettable tour de force.

Best regards and enjoy!

I am so raped that I am finally going to my fist listening of A Beethoven symphony! (his third) By the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra! They are also playing Mozarts' concerto for flute and Harp and the "Overture to the Silken Ladder" By Rossinni. Best seats in the hous (and the most expensive) I am just asking out of curiosity what was your first Beethoven Symphony that you saw LIVE. I always thought that mine was going to be the Fifth,but oh well. Thankyou for your reply!

Beethoven rocks!

oboe_15
                    Ad majorem dei gloriam

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:
                      So, you were able to talk to them before the performance, but not after, when you could have commented on their performance and made constructive criticism and\or helpful compliments?

Bob
                      That's correct, Bob. They have a lot of pre-performance chats here but no post-performance.
                      Joy

Comment

My first B.s' symphony wa the third. by my music school orchestra (winner of many competitions) under the conducting of André DESMARESTS, in Comines, in the public garden of the town. It was a wonderful day of june... I was 14...

------------------
                        Claudie
                        Claudie

Comment

My first encounter with a Beethoven Symphony was the Seventh Although I eschew creating programs for absolute music the piece reminded my of chivalry. To my surprise some musicologists and commentators have noticed the same. I still cherish this piece Many great recordings (Walter on Sony-CBS; Toscanini NY Philh on RCA; Monteux LSO on London; Szell Cleveland SonyCBS; to name only four

Comment

Working...
                          X