appassionata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

appassionata

Can anyone recommend a great recording? I have three versions which I find don't "nail it" in. Also, what is your opinion of what was going on in Beethoven's state of mind as he wrote this work, ie what does it represent?

You don't tell us the recordings you have - I think Serkin's Appassionata is the best I've heard. As to what was going on in Beethoven's mind, who knows? I think the starkest warning about interpreting Beethoven's thoughts from his works comes with the sunny 2nd symphony, written at a time of utter despair in his life. I'm reminded of Toscanini's comments on the Eroica: "To some it is Napoleon, to some it is a philosophical struggle, to me it is allegro con brio"
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

My first experience with the Appasionata was a recording by Lazaar Berman (sorry if I misspelled words and names) and to this date is my favorite recording of that work. I don't know of it's availability; I purchased it long ago in tape format.

Comment

My first recording of this fabulous piece was of Bernard Roberts so that's the one I remember and it was quite good. I've heard Arthur Rubenstein's recording of it as well and it was very good as always. I guess no one knows what Beethoven was thinking while writing this piece but it would sure be fun to find out! He must have been in a very powerful state of mind.
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

The first time I heard it live was with Paul Badura-Skoda. It remains the best experience I've had with the piece. His recording (out of print) is great too.
          "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Well to me the second movement represents total repose, as of having already conquered his musical world, knowing full well that what he feels he has the ability to depict to others, through the sheer force of his will. And the last movement, he is at such a god like level that he is able to extricate himself from the world and look at the world through a looking glass. There is no struggle, just the elemantary forces of desctruction.

Comment

Originally posted by makir35 View Post
              Well to me the second movement represents total repose, as of having already conquered his musical world, knowing full well that what he feels he has the ability to depict to others, through the sheer force of his will. And the last movement, he is at such a god like level that he is able to extricate himself from the world and look at the world through a looking glass. There is no struggle, just the elemantary forces of desctruction.
              How do you figure that?
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Of course art is subjective to interpretation. This is just how I feel when listening to this work. I could go even further and say that in the second movement Beethoven takes us on the glide thru the golden air, like a lazy bird just floating not flapping its wings, looking down at the world below. I'm not claiming what Beethoven was thinking literally. I'm sure there are different ones for each one that listens to it, in essence, millions...

Comment

If you can get hold of it (I only have it on vinyl) I would 100% recommend Sviatoslav Richter on RCA Victor, if nothing else but for the phenomenal dynamism and supreme accuracy of the performance
                  Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne View Post
                    If you can get hold of it (I only have it on vinyl) I would 100% recommend Sviatoslav Richter on RCA Victor, if nothing else but for the phenomenal dynamism and supreme accuracy of the performance
                    A barn-burner of a performance, which I have been enjoying all afternoon -- thanks to your reminder.

Don't gasp or pass out on the floor, but I have never heard Richter's famed live performance of the Appassionata (from Moscow, I think?)

Comment

I attended a recital by Artur Rubinstein some 35 years ago where he performed "Appassionata." Absolutely breathtaking!!
                      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

The Svatislav Richter version of the Appasionata is astounding by any standard. I still have the worn out vinyl version........and play it still :-)

The piano rumbles as if an earthquake were to erupt. It's a stupendous interpretation of the work. I have never heard it's equal.

Not having heard Beethoven's version that is. :-)

http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com
                        http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                        X