Impressionism by Beethoven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressionism by Beethoven?

My music teacher and I are having rather lengthy discussions on Beehoven and impressionism. She seems to think that Beethovens' music seldom has impressionism in it. I then asked her, "well then why is it called the MOONLIGHT SONATA?" Did Beethoven write any music that was intended for the listener to think of a certain scene? (Except of course for his opera 'fidellio')? And if so, what is it called and what is it meant to make you think of?

Beethoven rocks!

oboe_15
    Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Originally posted by oboe_15:
    My music teacher and I are having rather lengthy discussions on Beehoven and impressionism. She seems to think that Beethovens' music seldom has impressionism in it. I then asked her, "well then why is it called the MOONLIGHT SONATA?" Did Beethoven write any music that was intended for the listener to think of a certain scene? (Except of course for his opera 'fidellio')? And if so, what is it called and what is it meant to make you think of?

Beethoven rocks!

oboe_15
    I agree absolutely with your teacher! Even in works were B may have had a programme at the back of his mind, it's ultimate effect in the music is very latent. One rarely, if ever, encounters 'picture painting'in Beethoven's music.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by oboe_15:

Beethoven rocks!

oboe_15
      The only example that comes to mind is the Pastoral Symphony and though he provided descriptive titles for each movement, he wrote - 'it is left to the listener to discover the situation...Every kind of painting loses by being carried too far in instrumental music...Anyone who has the faintest ideas of rural life will have no need of descriptive titles to enable him to imagine for himself what the composer intends. Even without a description one would be able to recognise it all...'

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I just heard the Pastoral on the radio this past weekend and they were talking about B naming the movements. Here's what they said:
        "Merry Gathering of Country Folk"; "Thunderstorm"; "Shepherd's Song"; and "Happy & Thankful Feelings After the Storm".
        Is that right? Does that about cover it?
        Joy
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy, It seems to cover the 3rd, 4th & 5th movements. In school they used to teach the kids to remember the Shepherd's song to the words- "up in the tree top, the bluebird builds her nest....."

Though the first two movements, let's see,
          how about the joy upon arrival in the country, and by the brook, complete with cuckoo bird, nightingale, and quail. ~

Comment

It is interesting to think about the influences on the Pastoral symphony. A certain Justin Knecht (1752-1817) had written a symphony titled 'The musical portrait of nature' which has a five movement plan with a first movement describing a beautiful sunlit countryside, a storm in the 3rd movement and the finale titled 'Nature raises her voice towards heaven offering to the creator sweet and agreable songs.' Now it is certain that B knew of this work, even if he never heard it performed - Sir George Grove discovered that this symphony by Knecht was actually advertised on the cover of Beethoven's early 'Electoral' sonatas WoO47.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by ~Leslie:
              Joy, It seems to cover the 3rd, 4th & 5th movements. In school they used to teach the kids to remember the Shepherd's song to the words- "up in the tree top, the bluebird builds her nest....."

Though the first two movements, let's see,
              how about the joy upon arrival in the country, and by the brook, complete with cuckoo bird, nightingale, and quail. ~
              Where did these lyrics come from?

Bob

------------------
              I am not a number, I am a free man!
              Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Leslie:
                In school they used to teach the kids to remember the Shepherd's song to the words- "up in the tree top, the bluebird builds her nest....."

I dread to think what they teach them now!

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                  The only example that comes to mind is the Pastoral Symphony and though he provided descriptive titles for each movement, he wrote - 'it is left to the listener to discover the situation...Every kind of painting loses by being carried too far in instrumental music...Anyone who has the faintest ideas of rural life will have no need of descriptive titles to enable him to imagine for himself what the composer intends. Even without a description one would be able to recognise it all...'

Of course the further example is the sonata op81a 'Les Adieux', which proves my point well I think. Even with the 6th B never burdens us with the programme, he writes within the bounds of what is still tastefull from a purely musical perspective.

------------------
                  "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-04-2001).]
                  http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                  X