Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

music A level

hi everyone,
    I'm currently revising for my music A levele exam and one of the areas of study is how development of instruments affected composers and performers and what was written for specific instruments. I was browsing the internet looking for information and found this site so was wondering if anyone could help. We were given Beethoven as a name to research for this topic area but were not given much else!
    Any info or links to any sites would be great!

thanks,
    Sian.

Interesting topic. Beethoven seems an odd choice to focus on as there were more exciting developments in the orchestra with the generation that followed him, particularly Berlioz, Liszt and Wagner. It is always claimed that Beethoven was the first to introduce the trombone into a symphony (the finale of the 5th) but it seems that this distinction belongs to the Swedish composer Eggert. Beethoven's orchestra was pretty much that of Haydn and Mozart, though larger forces would be used at public concerts.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Both Eggert's E-flat symphony and Beethoven's C-minor symphony will be performed on 21-22 November 2007 in Stockholm in a concert comemorating the introducton of the trombone into the symphonic orchestra.
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
      X