Pepper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pepper

Being a mad unapologetic Beatles fan, I really feel I should make some effort on the 40th anniversary of the release of Sgt Pepper, to force it somewhere onto this forum! So here is part of a news item (it mentions Beethoven - so don't panic!):

Yes, it's been 40 years exactly since Sgt. Pepper, having labored the previous 20 years teaching his band to play, arranged for its debut in full psychedelic regalia.

A hundred years from now, musicologists say, Beatles songs will be so well known that every child will learn them as nursery rhymes, and most people won't know who wrote them. They will have become sufficiently entrenched in popular culture that it will seem as if they've always existed, like "Oh! Susanna," "This Land Is Your Land" and "Frère Jacques."

The timelessness of such melodies was brought home to me by Les Boréades, a Quebec group that has recorded Beatles music on baroque instruments. The instruments give the sense that you're hearing Bach or Vivaldi, and for moments it's possible to forget that you're listening to Beatles songs. We're so used to hearing Beatles songs that for many of us they no longer hold any surprises. But when they're stripped of their '60s production and the personal and social associations we have with them, you can hear the intricate and beautiful interplay of rhythm, harmony and melody.

On the bus recently the radio played "And I Love Her," and a Portuguese immigrant about my grandmother's age sang along with her eyes closed. How many people can hum even two bars of Beethoven's Fourth Symphony, or Mozart's 30th? I recently played 60 seconds of these to an audience of 700 -- including many professional musicians -- but not one person recognized them. Then I played a fraction of the opening "aah" of "Eleanor Rigby" and the single guitar chord that opens "A Hard Day's Night" -- and virtually everyone shouted the names.

To a neuroscientist, the longevity of the Beatles can be explained by the fact that their music created subtle and rewarding schematic violations of popular musical forms, causing a symphony of neural firings from the cerebellum to the prefrontal cortex, joined by a chorus of the limbic system and an ostinato from the brainstem. To a musician, each hearing showcases nuances not heard before, details of arrangement and intricacy that reveal themselves across hundreds or thousands of performances and listenings. The act we've known for all these years is still in style, guaranteed to raise a smile, one hopes for generations to come. I have to admit, it's getting better all the time.

Daniel J. Levitin, a former record producer, is a professor of psychology and music at McGill University in Montreal and the author of "This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession."

Now now Michael, tut tut.

I'm a big fan of John Lennon, perhaps the most famous Elvis Presley fan in the world.

I remember Irishman, Gay Byrne, introducing the Beatles on Granada TV Manchester UK 1963? (Their first TV appearance? Memory cells are dying even though I read scientific America etc )

The guy who designed the Pepper sleave was on TV at lunchtime. Why Elvis was not on it, is still a matter of debate on Presley forums.

Elvis was supposed to have played Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" on his grand in Graceland. I'd have loved to have been there when he did.
    http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Colgan View Post

Elvis was supposed to have played Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" on his grand in Graceland. I'd have loved to have been there when he did.
      That's a new one on me, Maurice. The Beatles song "Because" was supposed to have been inspired by Yoko Ono's playing of the same piece. There was a legend that Lennon took the chords of the piece and played them backwards but I think that doesn't hold up, musically.

(If we keep mentioning Beethoven, we might get away with this thread a bit longer )

Comment

Thanks Michael, I didn't know about the Yoko song.

Elvis bought quite a number of pianos. He had aspirations, maybe after watching Liberace in Vegas 1956

Elvis Presley did say at a press conference in Canada that he did not understand orchestral music, but added, "I do not knock it".

The Memphis Symphony Orchestra played an "Elvis Presley Overture" at the Mid-South Coliseum Memphis TN 16th August 1997. We were there. We won the trip on RTE1. After talking about Elvis and mentioning Beethoven in a radio interview
        Last edited by Maurice Colgan; 06-01-2007, 07:45 PM. Reason: Adding image

Comment

"It was forty years ago today..." eh? My, how time flies! Thanks for the reminder. I also heard the story about "Because" recalling "The Moonlight" it does sound like it, the first few chords anyway. This is one of my favourite John Lennon tunes. If I recall correctly I think Beethoven was, in fact, one of Lennon's favourite composers.

Maurice, what a wonderful statue of Beethoven. Where is this?
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy, yes it is impressive, isn't it. I only came across it yesterday researching Beethoven portraits.

The concrete block sculpture is in Bonn outside the Beethoven Concert Hall.

We will definitely try to go and see it!

Ludwig Van Beethoven. 2007.

Of all the sounds I have heard,
            Over a lifetime of music filled years,
            Beethoven hits hardest my soul,
            Whilst gently caressing my ears.

His thundering notes wild and free,
            Awakened our minds from sleep,
            Propelling our thought at a pace,
            To reflect on what’s noble, and deep.

Now listen awhile my friend,
            Cry along with the strings and horn,
            Then arise with the glorious Ninth,
            Thankful Beethoven was born. MC.

Comment

It is a beautiful statue for sure. What a lovely poem as well. Methinks you are a poet at heart!

Comment

Joy, youthinkso? Thank you.

I like to compose verses not being able to compose music.

I shall arise and go now...........to sleep......... perchance to............ scream at a good nightmare

Imagine Beethoven's dreams!

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Colgan View Post
                  Now now Michael, tut tut.

I'm a big fan of John Lennon, perhaps the most famous Elvis Presley fan in the world.
                  Hi Maurice. Of course, John proclaimed, "I don't believe in Elvis" (along with Beatles and Jesus) in God, from John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (1970).
                  Last edited by PDG; 06-16-2007, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    That's a new one on me, Maurice. The Beatles song "Because" was supposed to have been inspired by Yoko Ono's playing of the same piece. There was a legend that Lennon took the chords of the piece and played them backwards but I think that doesn't hold up, musically.

(If we keep mentioning Beethoven, we might get away with this thread a bit longer )
                    Agreed, Mike. And let's not forget about that long E major chord which ends A Day In The Life. The piano belonged to Daniel Barenboem.

What do you think of the new McCartney album?
                    Last edited by PDG; 06-16-2007, 08:14 PM. Reason: I was drunk first time...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                      Hi Maurice. Of course, John proclaimed, "I don't believe in Elvis" (along with Beatles and Jesus) in God, from John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (1970).
                      Yes and John Lennon also sang "I love you Elvis", 1972. Madison Square Garden New York during his rendition of "Hound Dog".

We heard Beethoven's Ninth at Carnegie Hall NY 2001. :-)

Comment

Agreed, Mike. And let's not forget about that long E major chord which ends A Day In The Life. The piano belonged to Daniel Barenboem.

What do you think of the new McCartney album?
                        Excellent. A bit downbeat but that's understandable, although most of it was recorded before he went out on a limb ........
                        Oh, and welcome back, PDG!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          Excellent. A bit downbeat but that's understandable, although most of it was recorded before he went out on a limb ........
                          Oh, and welcome back, PDG!
                          Hi Mike. I think it's groovy. I keep moppin' it up, moppin' it up, yeah...
                          Welcome back? Yes, I hope I am...

Comment

Hi Mike. I think it's groovy. I keep moppin' it up, moppin' it up, yeah...
                            Welcome back? Yes, I hope I am...
                            Yeah, man! Who needs this Beethoven rubbish?

Comment

I hope the music Gods didn't hear that!

Comment

Working...
                              X