looking for EROICA dvd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for EROICA dvd

Help! I searched for EROICA the BBC movie, on e-bay and amazon and I only could find it for zone 1! Nothing on the English site! Oh dear! Always the same problem! How it is possible that an English tv series is sold in USA!
    I thought I had already done my very best in finding Copying but this seems even more difficult! How could you find it? (I'm talking to the Englishes of course..) It's the only B movie I still lack, I can't have this hole in my collection! Please help me thank you!

It's available from the Opus Arte site. My copy is marked "all regions" so I don't think there is a region one.
    There are also copies available on Play.com from U.K. sellers. I am pretty sure that all editions are marked "all regions" but please make sure before you buy.

Here is the link:http://www.opusarte.com/pages/product.asp?ProductID=98
    It is clearly described as "all regions"

It's also available on Amazon U.K. - MUCH CHEAPER!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eroica-Ian-H...9961869&sr=1-1

Terry, I think the "Eroica" you saw on Amazon as Region One is a totally different film made in 1958.
    Last edited by Michael; 05-23-2007, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Terry, I think the "Eroica" you saw on Amazon as Region One is a totally different film made in 1958.
      Through Netflix (I'm in the U.S.), I rented the film with Ian Hart & Frank Finlay. Is that the film you guys are talking about? I rented a Region 1. It features essentially a full performance of the symphony with Beethoven conducting -- I guess it's in the Lobkowitz palace, & Finlay plays one of the big barons (maybe it's van Swieten) who seems a bit dismissive of Beethoven. It's an interesting film -- it's an interesting idea, at any rate. Great period performance of the Third Symphony, too!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidO View Post
        Through Netflix (I'm in the U.S.), I rented the film with Ian Hart & Frank Finlay. Is that the film you guys are talking about? I rented a Region 1. It features essentially a full performance of the symphony with Beethoven conducting -- I guess it's in the Lobkowitz palace, & Finlay plays one of the big barons (maybe it's van Swieten) who seems a bit dismissive of Beethoven. It's an interesting film -- it's an interesting idea, at any rate. Great period performance of the Third Symphony, too!
        Yes, that's the one Terry is looking for. It's one of the most extraordinary things I've seen: a drama in which the chief character is the "Eroica" symphony because everything takes place to the background (and mostly foreground) of the music which is played in full. Frank Finlay actually played Haydn and B was played by Ian Hart - the most unlikely actor to play that part but he is quite convincing. A useful feature of the DVD is the fact that you can also play the whole film - and the symphony - without the dialogue.
        It has been shown twice on BBC.

Comment

Terry, I think the "Eroica" you saw on Amazon as Region One is a totally different film made in 1958.[/QUOTE]

How did you find it on Amazon? It was Ian Hart's movie, not the 1958 (that I have) and it was region 2...Well, I opened these sites. I'd like to have these information before registering but they all ask for a password. Actually I don't like being registered everywhere because they use your mail to send you any kind of advertisement, even if there is a privacy policy I presume. Btw, thank you very much, I'll see what to do!

Comment

While I'm here?
            I read here that there is a DVD called "beloved beethoven" with all the backstage of the 1994 movie. Am I correct? Nothing from e-bay or amazon...while I'm contacting the 2 addresses you kindly suggested me, It'd be great if you were of help with this question...Thank you very much in advance, my saviors!

Comment

You must be thinking of "Immortal Beloved" which was made around 1994. This was only available in Region One until recently. I had to buy my Region 2 copy on ebay. It was Korean (!) and I got a bit worried when I saw B's name was spelt "Beetohoven" on the cover. But it was absolutely fine - English soundtrack and commentary. There are quite a few versions available quite cheaply on eBay but make sure it's Region 2 or "all regions".
              Also try and check if the disc contains extras like a commentary or documentary. I think some editions don't have these.
              Last edited by Michael; 05-28-2007, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Well, I read "beloved Beethven" not the movie (I have it) but a documentary about the movie and on this site...some time ago...I must search it on the old post. Btw thank you Michael. You are alwasy so kind.

Comment

Working...
                X