Would Beethoven have loved Van Gogh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    It is a very interesting debate Preston - For you Van Gogh's paintings evoke similar feelings and responses as the music of Beethoven and this is perfectly legitimate. However that is a very personal interpretation and we cannot say categorically that the music of Beethoven goes with the art of Van Gogh - it is all in the eye of the beholder and the ear of the listener. Looking at the two examples you provided I actually find the David more evocative of Beethoven - the revolutionary Marat portrayed as hero suggests the Eroica!
    For me, late Romantic music evokes landscape - Brahms, Wagner, Dvorak, Sibelius, etc. seem to paint musical pictures of meadows, forests, mountains, streams and sunlight. My neighbor, who has far more expereince than I in listening to great music, says she hears no such thing.
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz View Post
      For me, late Romantic music evokes landscape - Brahms, Wagner, Dvorak, Sibelius, etc. seem to paint musical pictures of meadows, forests, mountains, streams and sunlight. My neighbor, who has far more expereince than I in listening to great music, says she hears no such thing.
      Yes I think this is true, certainly Sibelius conjures up an austere granite landscape to my mind and Wagner definitely forests and mountains. I also get a seasonal response - much of Brahms is autumnal to me and a work such as his 3rd symphony seems perfect for a bright October day with the leaves turning. I think Beethoven's Pastoral symphony has to be set in August!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X