Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the Birds

News item:

William Engelen, a Berlin-based digital artist of Dutch origin, has come up with a nifty idea to get an entire population of cell phone users to participate in the creation of a natural symphony for birds.

Customized cell phones ring tones have long become the ultimate weapons of teenage revenge.

Many teenagers could not imagine a life without cell phones.
    There is probably no easier way to upset a group of sleep-deprived adults on their way to work than to subject them to the ambient sounds of burping crocodiles or robotic squeaks of Mexican folk bands singing "La Cucaracha" after sniffing helium.

And it's not as if one can escape the manic world of cell phones. They are literally everywhere -- in restaurants, parks, public transportation and movie theaters. Surely, mobile phones are a means of communication and a symbol of the information overload that characterizes our society.

But they are also much more than that: a tool of self-fashioning and personal expression, according to the fashion mantra of the 21st century: Let me hear your cell phone ring and I will tell you what kind of person you are.

Cell phones can, however, be used for goals more inspiring than driving your fellow subway-passengers up the wall. William Engelen, for instance, a Dutch artist living in Germany, may revolutionize the way we think about cell phones.

Engelen asked the residents of Bonn to download a digital version of the "Ode to Joy" from Beethoven's "9th Symphony" and use it as their mobile ring tone. His idea is that if enough cell phone users play the same musical melody every time their mobile rings, male blackbirds will begin to imitate the sound.

That blackbirds have an artistic streak in them has been well-documented by biologists observing their behavior. Male blackbirds are big fans of singing competitions. In the Mother Nature's very own, original version of "Avian Idol" -- later appropriated by humans and turned into an international money-making machine known as "American Idol" or "German Superstar" -- they get to exercise their vocal chords and fight for the prestigious title of the loudest bird on the block. Chicks apparently love it.

That's why some urban blackbirds can begin to sound like sirens, honking cars or even popular song refrains.

Sing it back!

It's, like, all of a sudden, everybody has the same ring tone.
    With Bonn being the city of birth of Ludwig van Beethoven, Engelen chose to teach birds to chirp the great composer.

The entire project is sponsored by the Beethoven Foundation and has received quite a bit of publicity locally as a curious artistic intervention in the animal world. Engelen says if it works, he'll take the project to other cities.

If all goes as planned, the Bonn blackbirds will be able to form a chorus of their own and tour the rest of the country. This is likely to raise the profile of classical music among birds in general and may even push Beethoven to the top of avian pop charts.

"This is WBRD, bringing you the latest hit from Bonn Blackbirds -- Chirp to Joy.'"

They could just listen to Messiaen!

From Wikipedia:

In 1952, Messiaen was asked to provide a test piece for flautists wishing to enter the Paris Conservatoire, and for this he composed the piece Le merle noir for flute and piano. While Messiaen had long been fascinated by birdsong, and birds had made appearances in several of his earlier works (for example La Nativité, Quatuor and Vingt regards), the flute piece is based entirely on the song of the blackbird. He took this development to a new level with his 1953 orchestral work Réveil des oiseaux — the work is composed almost entirely of birdsong, taking as its material the birds one might hear between midnight and noon in the Jura. From this period onwards Messiaen incorporated birdsong into all of his compositions, and indeed he composed several works for which birds provide the title and subject matter (for example the collection of thirteen pieces for piano Catalogue d'oiseaux completed in 1958, and La fauvette des jardins of 1971). Far from being simple transcriptions of birdsong, these works are sophisticated tone poems evoking the place and its atmosphere. Paul Griffiths comments that Messiaen was a more conscientious ornithologist than any previous composer, and a more musical observer of birdsong than any previous ornithologist
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Michael, I don't know what I would do without you and your very interesting and humourous posts! Very good! I only have a plain ol' ordinary ring on my cell phone, how boring!
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

It is my understanding that the call of the European blackbird is very similiar to the first 5 notes of the rondo of Beethoven's violin concerto.
        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
          It is my understanding that the call of the European blackbird is very similiar to the first 5 notes of the rondo of Beethoven's violin concerto.
          Yes, but they never get the key right!

Comment

The song "If I were a Blackbird" by Irish tenor, Josef Locke, springs to mind.

The Blackbirds nesting in our back garden are likely to learn some choice words if they continue to wake me up at 5 am!!!

I did spare one trapped in our greenhouse recently, and it wasn;t singing Elvis Presley's, "I want to be Free" :-) (Surely it knew the words!)
            http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

[
              "This is WBRD, bringing you the latest hit from Bonn Blackbirds -- Chirp to Joy.'"[/QUOTE]

I read this late and I can't stop laughing! CHirp to joy....It's the funniest I have ever heard! Thank you SOOO MUCH Michael! Your posts are the best, as usual! Once there was an English lady here, ms. Amelie, she was great! Unfortunately she's not writing anymore, please you keep on chattering here!

Comment

chattering here![/QUOTE]

CHATTING not chattering! UFFA!

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
                  [
                  "This is WBRD, bringing you the latest hit from Bonn Blackbirds -- Chirp to Joy.'"
                  I have the famous 4 first notes of the 5th for the messages on my mobile phone. Have you got any Beethoven rings?

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
                    I have the famous 4 first notes of the 5th for the messages on my mobile phone. Have you got any Beethoven rings?
                    I don't even have a mobile phone .........
                    I'm still waiting for the blackbird's rendition of "Ode to Joy" to come out on CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      I don't even have a mobile phone .........
                      I'm still waiting for the blackbird's rendition of "Ode to Joy" to come out on CD.
                      Hmm....Well, in this little booklet that's just turned up, I've found "To the blackbird", WoO 155. Yes, my Beethoven 87 CD set has just arrived!! I'll listen over the next few days and report back, but I must admit to being immediately disappointed at the absence of the piano version of Opus 61!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                        Hmm....Well, in this little booklet that's just turned up, I've found "To the blackbird", WoO 155. Yes, my Beethoven 87 CD set has just arrived!! I'll listen over the next few days and report back, but I must admit to being immediately disappointed at the absence of the piano version of Opus 61!
                        Yes, I'm afraid that's the only significant absence in the whole set, whatever about its other faults. It does contain a large amount of obscure works not found in other editions. Beware the sonatas, though!

Comment

Perhaps a little 'off subject' but I can thoroughly recommend the following work :

Trevor WISHART, 'Red Bird'.

This is an electro-acoustic work (perhaps better defined as 'acousmatic' music). Please use your preferred search engine to check out Wishart and this genre of music / sonic art. You may be pleasantly surprised (and certainly challenged).

Comment

Nobody going to take me up on this? Ok, here's a bit of polemic for you, dear readers : in my honest opinion 'acousmatic' music represents the cutting edge of our art (and I don't mean electronic in the sense of Jean-Michel Jarre which is simply a 'fast-food' version). Forget all that Emin nonsense, here is where the arguments get really serious (about how we define music, its function, its reception, its 'signifying' or semiotic aspects ...). Before I give my take on this, it might be a good idea to first check out (via your preferred search engine) the leading lights in this field such as :
                            Denis SMALLEY
                            Trevor WISHART
                            Bernard PARMEGIANNI

... to name but a few.

I 'admit' it may challenge what some would call 'music', but I would truly urge you to make the effort.
                            However, it is true that this (a Beethoven forum) may not be the place for such a debate. Please ignore this posting if not interesting for you.

Comment

Dennis, Trevor & Bernard. I'm sorry but the names alone put me off!

Comment

Working...
                              X