Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Misprint in the Urtext Op. 123 Mass Score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misprint in the Urtext Op. 123 Mass Score?

I just bought the G. Henle Verlag urtext folio score of the Missa (with piano reduction). I have a question about the final Presto of the Gloria -- seven measures from the end. The chorus is singing "in excelsis." The first two chords of the measure are notated with an F# from the key signature, but shouldn't that F# have a natural accidental in front of it? It seems as if those first two chords of the measure should be a G7 (a dominant). But I hate to secondguess an urtext printing. Does anyone know for sure here?

Second, does anyone know of a piano recording of the Missa (based on the reduction in this or any folio)?

Dear DavidO;

I have a piano reduction by G. Schirmer. I also have the full score by Peters.

Harmonic analysis is not my forte, but I looked at the passage 7 bars from the end of the Gloria. Since the key signature is D major, it seems to be a subdominant G chord to me. In the 6th bar from the end, there is a C-natural suggesting that there is modulation to G.
    Last edited by Hofrat; 04-26-2007, 08:21 AM. Reason: spelling error.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Well going from the miniature score I'm not sure where you are because the chorus are silent 7 bars from the end? If you mean 13 bars from the end where they are singing excelsis then the F# is correct as it appears in the other orchestral parts (Organ, 1st violin,flutes and oboes). The continued C natural for several bars does suggest G major as Hofrat says, but it is over a tonic bass of D in the timpani so really he is lingering on the subdominant and using a series of plagal cadences ending firmly in D major.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X