Brentano Quartet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brentano Quartet?

I'm considering ordering tickets for the up-coming performance of Op. 131 by the Brentano Quartet (yes, named for the speculated Immortal Beloved). Does anyone have experience with their Beethoven?

In anticipation of the concert, I've been listening to my recordings of Op. 131 lately. The Cleveland Quartet and the recently purchased (THANKS to recommendations here!) Medici Quartet. So far, I have no real preference for one over the other, though the Cleveland's tempos might be a bit faster.

I am beginning to appreciate the transitions between movements, but the movements themselves...well...I still find Op. 130/133 to be my favorite, sorry Ludwig. And 132's touching slow movement. All the quartets' slow movements, of course.

Here's the concert: http://www.cmnw.org/schedule2001.html
    and the Brentano: http://www.cmnw.org/artists2001.html#Brentano Quartet_

Hello Nick,

you *should* try out the op.131 played by the Budapest String Quartet; they recorded it 3 times; I cannot decide between #2 (~1955) and #3 (~1965), but also the #1 (~ 1940, on shellac, CD-reissue available) is played extraordinarily.

As I wrote in another post (see Amy Summer's thread "What do U think"), to me the op.131 remains one of the secrets, barely understood by most performers and so it is understandable few listeners like it. LvB himself esteemed op.131 as his best SQ.

When I got acquainted with the BSQ 15 years ago, I suddenly realized why I loathed Beethoven string quartets or sensed them as boring. Not with those BSQ recordings, it was a bright flash, a sudden eye-opener. For me, my buddies, my relatives the preference is unanimous: BSQ for Beethoven SQs, nothing else.

Greets,
    Bernhard
    Greets,
    Bernhard

Comment

Originally posted by dice45:
      When I got acquainted with the BSQ 15 years ago, I suddenly realized why I loathed Beethoven string quartets or sensed them as boring. Not with those BSQ recordings, it was a bright flash, a sudden eye-opener. For me, my buddies, my relatives the preference is unanimous: BSQ for Beethoven SQs, nothing else.

Greets,
      Bernhard
      Have the complete quartets been re-released on CD with the BSQ ?
      If you can give me a label, I'll add them to the recommended page.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

My advice would be to stop listening to those recordings. Do everything you can to forget them. This is because when you go to hear it live, if you've been listening to it over and over again, your mind will inevitably try to compare the performance with the recording, and that may decrease your enjoyment of the expierience of hearing it live.

Bob

------------------
        I am not a number, I am a free man!

[This message has been edited by Bob the Composer (edited 06-28-2001).]
        Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:
          My advice would be to stop listening to those recordings. Do everything you can to forget them. This is because when you go to hear it live, if you've been listening to it over and over again, your mind will inevitably try to compare the performance with the recording, and that may decrease your enjoyment of the expierience of hearing it live.

Bob

That's all very well Bob, but how else do we hear the BSQ or the Quartetto Italiano?
          The chamber Orchestra of Europe are not frequent visitors to my home town (though the Hanover Band are close by). Some things are inevitably lost by recordings, but far more is surely gained such as practicality and the opportunity to hear a far wider range of music and performances.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Bob

Hello Bob,
            a heroish but useless try , as I stated elsewhere, I prefer good canned music to bad life music. I always will. But thanks anyway

Hello Peter,

looks like I will have to do a net research about available CD re-issues; dunno whether they exist in complete, but I know for shure that my friend Manfred bought the middle or last quartets on CD recently on an obscure CD label.

The order code for the CD-reissue of the available 1st recording (1940, on shellac) of the BSQ is in one of my prior mails to you or posts to this forum. They are so stunning, so touching and intellectual at the same time, they should go immediately on your recommendations page.

Please, don't misunderstand my enthusiasm as "this is best", rather read it as "try this, too!"

As soon as I have the BSQ order code list complete, I come back with it.

Greets,
            Bernhard

[This message has been edited by dice45 (edited 06-30-2001).]
            Greets,
            Bernhard

Comment

...when you go to hear it live, if you've been listening to it over and over again, your mind will inevitably try to compare the performance with the recording, and that may decrease your enjoyment of the expierience of hearing it live.
              This is something I have in fact been struggling with lately. I find myself looking for what I perceive to be mistakes when I'm at a live performance, rather than simply enjoying the moment.

After a bit more surfing, I found reviews of previous Brentano Q performances of B which were quite favorable, even of Op. 130/133. So, I'm looking forward to next Saturday's Op. 131 here. I just hope the audience is up to the task......

Comment

Working...
              X