Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The greatest Beethoven pianist of the 20th century?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    ...Just out of curiosity: my set takes up ten CDs and is the only set I know that has the sonatas in correct order. Have they changed the layout or remastered them in any way?
    Michael, they are still on 10 cds, in the correct order and only appear to have been 'remastered' the one time when they originally went to digital format, so I figure it still sounds the same as your copy.
    “Then let us all do what is right, strive with all our might toward the unattainable,
    develop as fully as we can the gifts God has given us, and never stop learning”
    LvBeethoven

Comment

Oh, right. They still sound great as Decca had the best analogue quality recordings back in the sixties and seventies. Actually, one of the Ashkenazy discs (the Hammerklavier, I think) is fully digital - one of the earliest - and the "Andante Favori" is also included.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Oh, right. They still sound great as Decca had the best analogue quality recordings back in the sixties and seventies. Actually, one of the Ashkenazy discs (the Hammerklavier, I think) is fully digital - one of the earliest - and the "Andante Favori" is also included.

Yes that is a DDD disc from 1980-81, so it certainly was an early digital recording.
        “Then let us all do what is right, strive with all our might toward the unattainable,
        LvBeethoven

Comment

After listening to and watching the three part BBC series "The Genius of Beethoven", I've got to add Ronald Brautigam to the list. He played the fortepiano for that series and the BBC series "The Genius of Mozart". Even the jangly fortepiano sound doesn't put me off!

I love his clarity and technical brilliance as much as that of Vladimir Ashkenazy on the Pianoforte.

Currently listening to the Schnabel set...not bad. I like the overall performances though very approximate rendition in areas, many duff notes. My pick is still for Ashkenazy and Brautigam.
          Last edited by Tod; 10-30-2007, 12:45 PM. Reason: revised vibe on Schnabel
          LvBeethoven

Comment

Working...
          X