Adelaide, op.46

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adelaide, op.46

Beethoven's greatest song? Famous 19th century German critic, Eduard Hanslick, described it as "the only song by Beethoven whose loss would leave a gap in the emotional life of our nation". And to think that LvB delayed sending it to the poem's author, Friedrich von Matthisson, for 4 years, for fear of the latter disapproving of the former's setting!

I'm not terribly familiar with Adelaide, but I enjoyed hearing it performed by Ben Heppner. Out of the many many lieder B. wrote thru-out his life, only a handful seem to have made any impression on his career as a songsmith. I wonder why that is.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
      Beethoven's greatest song? Famous 19th century German critic, Eduard Hanslick, described it as "the only song by Beethoven whose loss would leave a gap in the emotional life of our nation". And to think that LvB delayed sending it to the poem's author, Friedrich von Matthisson, for 4 years, for fear of the latter disapproving of the former's setting!
      I wouldn't say it was Beethoven's greatest song, though one of the better known. Hanslick was uttering the typical 19th century romantic outlook on Beethoven, and this bears out my earlier remarks on this topic where I cited Adelaide as one of the works that influenced the young Romantics. The work is not really typical of Beethoven and has more in common with the Italian operas of Bellini. Far worthier contenders are the song of the flea from Faust, or Wonne der Wehmut Op.83 no.1

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
        I love that opening melody in Adelaide, it's one that sticks in the memory, but B wrote a few other very moving songs that no-one ever hears. I recommend the DG complete leider boxed set, which is good value for money and will provide many surprises to those not familiar with B's songs. I like the Gellert Hymns which are best sung as a group. Also a wonderfull little gem is 'Gendenke Mein' which I thought was a late work but Peter has it as a composition of 1804. I will look into it. Regardless this song has only two lines yet says more than the better known songsmiths could do with 20.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I like the Gellert Hymns which are best sung as a group. Also a wonderfull little gem is 'Gendenke Mein' which I thought was a late work but Peter has it as a composition of 1804. I will look into it. Regardless this song has only two lines yet says more than the better known songsmiths could do with 20.

The settings of Gellert Op.48 are very attractive songs. These poems reflect B's own views on God and mankind and had been set in their entirety by C.P.E.Bach in 1758.

Regarding Gedenke Mein (WoO130), though dated 1819/20 it is probable it was sketched much earlier in 1804/5.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            The settings of Gellert Op.48 are very attractive songs. These poems reflect B's own views on God and mankind and had been set in their entirety by C.P.E.Bach in 1758.

Regarding Gedenke Mein (WoO130), though dated 1819/20 it is probable it was sketched much earlier in 1804/5.
            I also noticed in my print-out of your compositions page that op48 is only identified with the word 'song'. I'd like to know who suggests Gedenke mein is an earlier work, it's nature sounds definitely '3rd period' to me. Perhaps B re-wrote an earlier idea?

------------------

Comment

The Song of the Flea is a great little fun song. Since we're talking songs, it's interesting that Beethoven 'did a Schubert' with Seufzer eines Ungeliebten und Gegenliebe (1794), developing its march theme many years later (1808) as the choral theme of the Choral Fantasy.

Comment

I also noticed in my print-out of your compositions page that op48 is only identified with the word 'song'. I'd like to know who suggests Gedenke mein is an earlier work, it's nature sounds definitely '3rd period' to me. Perhaps B re-wrote an earlier idea?

Thanks for pointing that out - I originally compiled the composition list when I was 16, so it is taking as long to edit as a Beethoven song did to revise! I refer of course to WoO130 which Barry Cooper dates as c.1819/20 but originally drafted 1804/5.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I wonder if anyone has heard Fritz Wunderlich's recordings of Adelaide? What a wonderful voice he had - he was born to sing this song!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    Thanks for pointing that out - I originally compiled the composition list when I was 16, so it is taking as long to edit as a Beethoven song did to revise! I refer of course to WoO130 which Barry Cooper dates as c.1819/20 but originally drafted 1804/5.

I think if one it going to use only one date in your listing, the later date should be selected. Drafting is one thing, completion is quite another. Certainly this piece as it stands sounds to me far more a work of 1820 than 1804. Have you heard it?

------------------

Comment

I think if one it going to use only one date in your listing, the later date should be selected. Drafting is one thing, completion is quite another. Certainly this piece as it stands sounds to me far more a work of 1820 than 1804. Have you heard it?

Yes I have and I tend to agree with you - It shall jump forward 16 years!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I sang and sing a lot ADELAIDE.... It is well written for the voice and when one is familiar with german language it takes all the sense...
                        I really think that the version of Fritz WUNDERLICH is one of the best ever recorded.
                        I suggest you all to listen the two sets of "An die Hoffnung", really the first one seems very simple but it is very deep with few notes. The second version is quite an full aria in the way of Fidelio's Leonore.
                        Definitively Beethoven was a very good composer for voices : one just need a good technic... and, also, to know German language to give his lieder back as they desserve.

------------------
                        Claudie
                        Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
                          I sang and sing a lot ADELAIDE.... It is well written for the voice and when one is familiar with german language it takes all the sense...
                          I really think that the version of Fritz WUNDERLICH is one of the best ever recorded.
                          Hi Claudie,

I didn't know that women sang Adelaide!! What do you know of Wunderlich's death? All I know is that it involved "an unfortunate fall down the stairs....." Do you have more information?

------------------
                          PDG (Peter)

Comment

Yes, in Germany women sing Adelaide and also "An die Ferne Geliebte"....even the DICHTERLIEBE and the WINTERREISE !!! The text is for a man, of course, but if you want to defend this part of B. music you must (as I have done) present it to the public. It is not known enough.
                            Yes, Fritz WUNDERLICH is dead falling in the stairs. I do not know more. I really love his way of singing (legato, style, nuances).
                            His Schubert is incredible !

------------------
                            Claudie
                            Claudie

Comment

Working...
                            X