On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

1791 -- Birth in Vienna of Carl Czerny, Austrian pianist, teacher, composer, and pupil of Beethoven.
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Yes an amazing man who had a tremendous influence on the development of piano teaching and technique with such famous pupils as Thalberg, Franz Liszt, Stephen Heller, and Theodor Leschetizky.

A list of Czerny’s published works occupies 22 pages of small type, at the end of which his London publisher, Robert Cocks & Co., apologizes that "many other arrangements exist by the talented author of this work, of which even the titles have escaped his memory." It includes 861 published opus numbers plus a great deal of unpublished material, including 4 Symphonies (in addition to two published Symphonies), 30 String Quartets and innumerable religious works for voices and orchestra.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

The mp3 section has been quiet for some time, does anyone want to know some of Czerny's symphonies? I have n.1, 2, 5 and 6.
      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Peter;

Czerny actually wrote 6 symphonies. I have the 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 6th on commercial CD's. One can hear Beethoven's influence on them. Czerny took the scherzo to new levels.
        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
          Peter;

Czerny actually wrote 6 symphonies. I have the 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 6th on commercial CD's. One can hear Beethoven's influence on them. Czerny took the scherzo to new levels.
          Thanks for that Hofrat - I got the information from another website, just shows!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa View Post
            The mp3 section has been quiet for some time, does anyone want to know some of Czerny's symphonies? I have n.1, 2, 5 and 6.
            That would be great but I'd only do selected movements (not the whole thing) to avoid any legal issues.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

No problem! When I get home, I'll rip either the 1st or the 4th movement of the 1st, just tell me the usual size limit so I can adjust the bitrate.

Cheers!

EDIT: In addition to Czerny, I'd like to suggest we start a new series on the mp3 page of Beethoven's contemporaries, pupils and friends, ranging from Hummel to Ries, Moscheles to Czerny and etc.
              Last edited by Rutradelusasa; 02-21-2007, 05:19 PM.

Comment

No problem! When I get home, I'll rip either the 1st or the 4th movement of the 1st, just tell me the usual size limit so I can adjust the bitrate.

Cheers!

EDIT: In addition to Czerny, I'd like to suggest we start a new series on the mp3 page of Beethoven's contemporaries, pupils and friends, ranging from Hummel to Ries, Moscheles to Czerny and etc.
                Yes a good idea but I have little of this music (aside from Hummel) so members will have to contribute their own files. It would also create a nice contemporary context for Beethoven's music. We do however have to be careful of the legal side and I don't want to be actively seen to encourage file sharing! Perhaps excerpts with reference to the recording details would be a safer option?

Anything under 10 MB I suppose would be ok for those of us with broadband - any suggestions Chris?
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  Anything under 10 MB I suppose would be ok for those of us with broadband - any suggestions Chris?
                  That seems reasonable. Presenting very high quality versions is not really a good idea, since to get that, you should really have to buy the CD. Personally, though, I have a very difficult time telling the difference, so I am not the person to ask when to comes to balancing file size and quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    Yes a good idea but I have little of this music (aside from Hummel) so members will have to contribute their own files. It would also create a nice contemporary context for Beethoven's music. We do however have to be careful of the legal side and I don't want to be actively seen to encourage file sharing! Perhaps excerpts with reference to the recording details would be a safer option?

In my case, I have Symphonies from Ries, Spohr, Czerny, Moscheles, Kalliwoda, Weber (not a complete unknown, but his symphonies are about the most neglected of his music), Burgmüller, Cherubini and Reicha.
                    There are also the extensive chamber music they wrote, most notably Hummel, but I also have one of Ries oratorios (he wrote two).

Contact me on how I should send you the file.

Comment

In my case, I have Symphonies from Ries, Spohr, Czerny, Moscheles, Kalliwoda, Weber (not a complete unknown, but his symphonies are about the most neglected of his music), Burgmüller, Cherubini and Reicha.
                      There are also the extensive chamber music they wrote, most notably Hummel, but I also have one of Ries oratorios (he wrote two).

Contact me on how I should send you the file.

I've sent you a private message on the forum with contact details - (check top of the page for private messages).
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                      X