Beethoven overtures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven overtures

I was recently looking for a complete recording of Beethoven's overtures on the internet and I was having difficulty finding one. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions about where to look or a specific recording to buy?

In my opinion, it's David Zinman, no contest. Not only is it the best, but it's very cheap. Here's a link for it at Amazon.com:

Click here

Comment

The Naxos set is very "pocket friendly" if you have a limited budget.
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

I have Kurt Massur / Gewandhausorchester Leipzig and this is pretty good.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have these two cds of Beethoven overtures:

1. "Beethoven Complete Overtures, 12 Minuets, 12 German Dances, and 12 Contredances" a 2 cd packet. The overtures are conducted by Kurt Masur and the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig. The dances are conducted by Sir Neville Marriner and the Academy of St. Martin in the Field. This is on Philips #438 706-2.

2. "Beethoven Overtures" conducted by Otto Klemperer and the Philharmonia Orchestra. This is from EMI #7 47190 2.
          "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            I have Kurt Massur / Gewandhausorchester Leipzig and this is pretty good.
            Seconded.

Comment

George Szell & Cleveland on Sony Essential Classics
              Very affordable

Not exactly complete, but a great chunk of them:

Leonore No. 1
              Leonore No. 2
              Leonore No. 3
              Fidelio
              Egmont
              Coriolan
              King Stephen
              Creatures of Prometheus

I'll probably buy others at some point soon -- just to compare with Szell (my benchmark).

Comment

My dear friend Judith (on this forum - "Beethoven the Man!" ) bought me the Zinman double CD and it is superb - very highly recommended
                Love from London

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at both the Zinman recording and the Philips CDs. I was also looking to buy a complete recording of the string quartets and wondered if you had any suggestions for that. The recording by the Amadeus quartet seemed to be a favorite on amazon and was also inexpensive, but I wondered if anybody had any other suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by ntg1213 View Post
                    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at both the Zinman recording and the Philips CDs. I was also looking to buy a complete recording of the string quartets and wondered if you had any suggestions for that. The recording by the Amadeus quartet seemed to be a favorite on amazon and was also inexpensive, but I wondered if anybody had any other suggestions.
                    I would go for the Italiano - and a full set should be inexpensive as all the recordings are from the late sixties and early seventies. Beautiful playing and very good sound quality.

Michael

Comment

I think I have all the sets recommended here (except the Klemperer), plus a very nice one by the Stuttgart Radio Symphony / Neville Marriner on Capriccio. My favorites are the Zinman and the Marriner. Both high quality playing and sound, both frightfully inexpensive. That's a hard combination to top!

The Marriner also has several pieces from the Creatures of Prometheus which fit in very nicely indeed, in the event that you haven't got the complete incidental music.

Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

If you want just an amazing account of Coriolan try Furtwängler!
                        (not an account of all the overtures, I know...)

Comment

I've been trying to track down Szell & Vienna's recording of the entire incidental music from "Egmont," but the cheapest CD I can find of this out-of-print recording is about $50.

Anyone have this recording? What do you think of it? It's highly lauded by the Amazon buyers.

Comment

Working...
                          X