No announcement yet.

Quote of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"God give me a failure like that!" - Gounod after the infamous Paris 1861 Tannhauser.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

"Music has no subject beyond the combinations of notes we hear, for music speaks not only by means of sounds, it speaks nothing but sound."

- Eduard Hanslick

Influential critic Eduard Hanslick was the conservative Brahms partisan who attacked Wagner and Lizst for their romantic excesses and word-painting. In a way this is ironic to me, for if Brahms' symphonies, especially the Third, do not paint landscape, I don't know what music does (of course excluding the Pastoral of Beethoven).
      Last edited by Chaszz; 03-05-2007, 02:52 PM. Reason: .
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

There was a young lady of Rio
        Who tried to play Hummel's Grand trio
        But her pace was so scanty
        She took it Andante
        Instead of Allegro con brio!

(Text set for an examination in 3 part counterpoint by Tovey)
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

A view of the Harpsichord by Thomas Beecham - "Sounds like two skeletons copulating on a corrugated tin roof."
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

"I should be sorry, my lord, if I have only succeeded in entertaining them; I wished to make them better." Handel to Lord Kinnoull after the first London performance of Messiah.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely.

Ludwig van Beethoven, letter to F G Wegeler, 1801
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

'Have you heard any Stockhausen?' Sir Thomas Beecham was asked. 'No' he replied, 'but I believe I have trodden in some.'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

"That will make the ladies scream."
                  -Joseph Haydn, speaking of the 'surprise' in the 'Surprise' Symphony No.94; quoted in A. Gyrowetz, Memoirs, 1848.
                  "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Artur Schnabel on refusing to play encores "Applause is a receipt, not a bill."
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Johannes Brahms.

“Composers in the old days used to keep strictly to the base of the theme, as their real subject. Beethoven varies the melody, harmony and rhythms so beautifully.”
                      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Sir Michael Tippett:

Beethoven lived completely in this world of imagination, and you pay a price. The body takes over.
                        ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

"As the music is, so are the people of the country" - Turkish proverb that is perhaps slightly worrying these days!
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                            "As the music is, so are the people of the country" - Turkish proverb that is perhaps slightly worrying these days!

Yes, and what does this say about Europe and Britian in particular !

Music is an expression, but just what is it expressing in Britian?
                            We have just been listening to Rodrigo, Concierto de Aranjuez. Boy, Oh boy, Oh boy ! Fantastic! That piece is telling us about mystery, culture, identity, beauty and truth. As you know, the music of today is the opposite of this.

Comment

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought" - Sir Thomas Beecham.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

"Is it not the fate of geniuses to be suppressed while the whole world lauds charlatans."--Kellgren speaking about Vogler.
                                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
                                X