Beethoven or Strauss? Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven or Strauss? Please help!

My Granmother has an in-healthy obsession with Strauss's waltzes. I swear that if I listen to "waltz, wine, woman and song" I will burn the C.D!
    Do you know of any works by Beethoven that she could listen to by Beethoven that doesn't go too far away from Strauss's distinctive style? I tried Swanlakes waltzes but she thinks that they are too repeatative! And Strauss isn't? Please help me! I nedd help, Unfortunately the waltz wasn't the most popular dance in Beethovens time!

[This message has been edited by oboe_15 (edited 06-22-2001).]
    Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Sorry for the incorrect spelling, it is rather cold here in Nwe Zealand at the moment and I am getting a bit clumsy on the Keyboard!
    Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Comment

In his earlier days Beethoven composed various collections of dances which are rather more tasteful than those of Mr Strauss and Co. Check the compositions list at this site.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Good morning, New Zealand! Yeah, the sets of dances WoO7, WoO8, WoO14 & WoO17 are available on Naxos: 8.550433.

Comment

After you introduce her to the pieces mentioned above, play for her the 3rd, 7th and 8th symphonies. Then, if you're brave, try introducing her to the Diabelli Variations and The Quartet in A minor, Op. 132. The former is a set of variations Beethoven wrote on a waltz by Diabelli, and the latter's last movement is the only waltz Beethoven ever wrote himself, and some of the other movements dance as well.

Bob

------------------
          I am not a number, I am a free man!
          Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

Bob, please qualify waltz. The 3/4 time signature of the opus 132 finale is shared by the Eroica's 1st movement, the Andante of the Pastoral Symphony, Fur Elise, WoO 84/85, & many other works/mvts.

Comment

Working...
            X