Wilhelm Kempff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilhelm Kempff

I wonder if any members have any comments on Wilhelm Kempff's complete Beethoven sonata recordings? I'm thinking of adding this to my collection and would be interested what others think.
    'Man know thyself'

I think Kempff recorded the complete Beethoven sonatas at least twice. I have never heard the mono recordings from the fifties but the stereo cycle from the early sixties is one I would not be without. He is especially good in the earlier sonatas and the last three (Opus 109-111) but I prefer other pianists in the great middle-period works like the “Appassionata” and the “Waldstein”.
    The only drawback – if you can call it that – is that Kempff can be a bit arbitrary about exposition repeats. He omits the repeat in the “Pastorale” if I remember correctly – and most astounding of all, in the first movement of the “Hammerklavier” and in a few other sonatas. Having said that, I love his “Hammerklavier”. It might not be as heaven-storming as others but he really makes that last-movement fugue sing.
    The only other problem is with the sound – early sixties and very hissy. The set that comes with the Complete Beethoven Edition on DGG has been re-mastered a bit more and is improved a bit from the earlier edition. The recordings are a bit clattery – at times it sounds like Kempff is playing a fortepiano but that might make the sound more authentic for some listeners. (If you’re reading this, Rod, please don’t start!)
    If you could listen to a sample of the recordings before you buy, Peter, you would be a better judge than I am.
    Bottom line: beautiful performances – full of light.

Michael

Comment

That's very interesting Michael thank you. The complete sets I have are Schnabel which are of course wonderful interpretations despite the occasional technical lapses (and poor recording sound) and John Lill who I am not that impressed with.

I have the last 5 sonatas with Brendel which I think are superb and am in the process of treating myself to another set which is why I asked the question. So as far as complete sets go how would you rate Brendel or Barenboim compared to Kempff? Barenboim is to my mind inconsistent but superb at his best. Richard Goode is another of my considerations.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I also find Bareboim a bit variable although I don't have a complete cycle. The set I keep returning to is Brendel's middle cycle which is consistantly excellent and mostly well-recorded. I also have his earlier Vox set which is also very good but the sound quality is mediocre. I haven't heard his last digital cycle but it has been well received and has been recommended in this forum.
        The only other complete cycle I have is the Ashkenazy which I find a bit neutral compared to Brendel. My favourite sonata is the Waldstein and none of the above have recorded it to my liking (which must be a source of great distress to them). Brendel comes closest in his Vox recording but the transfer has been spoiled by a terrible editing glitch in the first movement. Gilels does a fine job on the Waldstein and the Appassionata but, as far as I know, has never recorded a complete cycle.
        Bearing in mind that I have heard a very limited number of recordings, I would place Brendel's middle set as my number one, very closely followed by the stereo Kempff.

Michael

Comment

Thanks again Michael - the most annoying thing is discovering that some of my best recordings are on LPs and cassette which I never play anymore simply because my old Toshiba player doesn't work anymore. Having to replace things on CD has been a costly and time consuming process, but I still have many gaps such as the sonatas. I'm also considering a new Concerto set - none of my individual cd versions (Brendel, Ashkenazy, Pollini)compare with my LP Gilels set.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I've got the concertos version of Gilels playing with the ussr version, and are particulairly taken with the 4th and 5th concerto, for the 3th concerto I've got a recording with Leon fleisher and The cleveland Orchestra conducted by Szell...a rendition not even Gilels could better imho.But for the sonata's, I've got both the arrau and John lill set which both do not impress me a lot..but every sonata I've got played by gilels *except for the appasionate which is far to rushed* is golden.

Comment

I have the later cycle that he did (I think it more recent than the 60's!) and I felt that he was a bit sloppy with the pedaling for one thing and played some of the "minor" sonatas with the mindset of just getting through them. I recall being particularly disappointed with the op. 10, no. 2, although I cannot remember details on that--it might have been pedaling, I cannot remember. The set I had had a repeated CD and so the last one was a duplicate of the pentulimate one. That was terribly disappointing.

Comment

Does anyone have the Richard Goode or Bernard Roberts sets? I Would be interested to know what you think of them.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have listened to Goode's set quite thoroughly a few times now and I really enjoy what he does, although it wasn't until the second go-around that I began enjoying it. THe first time I hated him. I was particularly swooning while listening to the op. 111; had never cared for the last sonata until Goode; the finale is just magical.

I am not a fan of Russell Sherman, although I have only heard the concertos and a few sonatas. Butcherings, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    Does anyone have the Richard Goode or Bernard Roberts sets? I Would be interested to know what you think of them.

Richard Goode's renditions of the sonatas are adequate. not the most inspired. but adequate.
                    Must it be? It must be!

Comment

I have the Bernard Roberts set and have had them for years. I enjoy them. It was my first set of Beethoven sonatas I acquired so that might have something to do with my preference of them. You know how sometimes you listen to a certain recording first and then that becomes your favourite because that was the first one you heard and it sticks in your mind. Here's where you can listen to excerpts and read some of the reviews, that might help you in your decision.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Comp.../dp/B0000037B3
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Peter,
                        I think the ideal choice, before making a financial commitment such as the Kempff set from the CBE (which is the one to have for sound &c, although all the people that I know prefer the MONO set for the playing), is to purchase the ubiquitous DGOriginal for £1 which has Op 13, 27#2, 53 & 57. You will get a feel for his style, and though the sound will be better on the CBE (this didn't receive the remastering treatment, I think) at least you will know what to expect for next to nothing. As it happens, I love it, but hey, that's just me.
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
                          Peter,
                          I think the ideal choice, before making a financial commitment such as the Kempff set from the CBE (which is the one to have for sound &c, although all the people that I know prefer the MONO set for the playing), is to purchase the ubiquitous DGOriginal for £1 which has Op 13, 27#2, 53 & 57. You will get a feel for his style, and though the sound will be better on the CBE (this didn't receive the remastering treatment, I think) at least you will know what to expect for next to nothing. As it happens, I love it, but hey, that's just me.
                          Thanks for the suggestion Gurn - where is this available?
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Gurn - where is this available?
                            Peter,
                            I can't say specifically, but I see it online all the time. I bought it on eBay for $3US! As far as I know, it has never gone out of print, even though it was among the very first releases of the DGO series. Not sure where you shop, but I can well imagine that MDG have it. Although my first choice would be (as it is here) Amazon UK.

Cheers,
                            Gurn

PS - Try this link, as you see it is readily available here, for as little as $2.50US!!
                            http://tinyurl.com/yn2mkk
                            Last edited by Gurn Blanston; 12-10-2006, 03:31 PM. Reason: Add link
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks again Gurn, it surely is a must have at that price so it'll be added to my list!
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X