On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

1811 -- Ludwig van Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5, "Emperor," is premiered by soloist Friedrich Schneider in Leipzig's Gewandhaus.

I read somewhere that Beethoven really wanted to perform this concerto himself as it's one of his favourites but he was too deaf at the time to perform. Anyone care to add to this story? Is this story true? I realize the deaf part is probably true.
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy View Post
    1811 -- Ludwig van Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5, "Emperor," is premiered by soloist Friedrich Schneider in Leipzig's Gewandhaus.

I read somewhere that Beethoven really wanted to perform this concerto himself as it's one of his favourites but he was too deaf at the time to perform. Anyone care to add to this story? Is this story true? I realize the deaf part is probably true.
    I can't verify the story but that is my favorite piece of music! Thanks for the information!

Comment

I'm not sure that there is an anecdote relating to Beethoven's favourite piano concerto - we know with regards to Mozart he thought highly of the D minor and C minor concertos. Doubtless Beethoven must have wanted to perform the concerto, but he did perform the Archduke piano trio some years later in 1814 (April 11th), though it must have been a pretty dreadful affair - the piano was out of tune, Beethoven wacked the keys so hard in the forte passages creating a horrible jangling sound and in the soft passages he couldn't be heard!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

It is most interesting that the "Emperor" concerto premiered in Leipzig before Vienna.

Hofrat
        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

The piano trio was indeed a fiasco from what I read due largely to Beethoven's lack of hearing. Wasn't that the last time he performed in public?

Comment

The piano trio was indeed a fiasco from what I read due largely to Beethoven's lack of hearing. Wasn't that the last time he performed in public?
            Dear Joy;

If I am not mistaken, Beethoven performed at the Congress of Vienna a few years later.

Hofrat
            "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
              Dear Joy;

If I am not mistaken, Beethoven performed at the Congress of Vienna a few years later.

Hofrat
              The concert Joy is referring to is the performance of the Archduke trio which took place on April 11th 1814. He played the work again a few weeks later at a morning concert in the Prater, and this was his last public appearance as a pianist (except as an accompanist).
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                The concert Joy is referring to is the performance of the Archduke trio which took place on April 11th 1814. He played the work again a few weeks later at a morning concert in the Prater, and this was his last public appearance as a pianist (except as an accompanist).
                What pieces (and when) did he perform publicly as an accompanist?

Comment

What pieces (and when) did he perform publicly as an accompanist?
                  Unfortunately I'm not certain - the information comes from Thayer but he doesn't mention any of the pieces. I wonder if any others have references to Beethoven accompanying in public at a date later than 1814?
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                  X