The Eroica Symphony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Eroica Symphony

My question is What is the connection between the "Eroica" and a bank?

The only thing I can think of is if Napoleon appears on the French franc!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      The only thing I can think of is if Napoleon appears on the French franc!

Whilst on this subject, check out a blistering new recording of the 3rd by Jordi Savall and Les Concert Des Nations (Astree, ES 9959). Period instrument (of course), great sound, generally observing B's metronome tempi, mid-price here in London (£8.99). To be played only when cats, dogs and humans of a weak and sensitive nature are safely locked away out of earshot!!

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-28-2001).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Whilst on this subject, check out a blistering new recording of the 3rd by Jordi Savall and Les Concert Des Nations (Astree, ES 9959). Period instrument (of course), great sound, generally observing B's metronome tempi, mid-price here in London (£8.99). To be played only when cats, dogs and humans of a weak and sensitive nature are safely locked away out of earshot!!

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll add that to the recommended Cd's page.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Bejoyaditya:
          My question is What is the connection between the "Eroica" and a bank?
          Er.......one has a mass of notes & delights you, while the other has a mass of notes & bankrupts you?

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll add that to the recommended Cd's page.
            I suggest you do more than that, I suggest you buy it as well! It's the nearest to the real thing I've yet to hear. After 200 years we're finally starting to get somewhere!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-29-2001).]

Comment

I suggest you do more than that, I suggest you buy it as well!
              I intended to!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Wasn't this Savall CD recorded and released in 1997?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin:
                  Wasn't this Savall CD recorded and released in 1997?
                  As far as I am aware that is correct - I think this is a re-release.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

As far as I am aware that is correct - I think this is a re-release.
                    Yes, on the packaging is says the recording was a production of 1997, but I did not know the new issue (2000) is infact a re-release. I don't recall seeing this in the shops ever before here in Old London Town. Regardless, this is the recording of the Eroica I'll be playing from now on, it makes Gardiner's dull Archiv recording feel like a ladies outing in the park...then it starts to rain!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-30-2001).]

Comment

Yes, on the packaging is says the recording was a production of 1997, but I did not know the new issue (2000) is infact a re-release.
                      I've ordered it and should have it tomorrow - looking forward to a great Eroica experience!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I think I will have to buy a copy myself. Rod, your not getting kickbacks on this, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin:
                          I think I will have to buy a copy myself. Rod, your not getting kickbacks on this, are you?
                          My judgement head is on the block! I await the axeman.

------------------

Comment

My judgement head is on the block! I await the axeman.

Your head has been spared sir! - It really is a recording to knock your socks off. Listening with the score, it was a revelation to actually hear what B wrote with the tempi (except the poco andante) and repeats fully observed - I thought the repeat might make the opening movement of the Eroica too long, but not so if the right tempo is observed - Beethoven knew what he wanted, and why it's taken until now to oblige him is a mystery! I was amazed at the clarity of the sound which reveals inner parts not normally heard with larger modern forces - if I have one reservation, it is that the woodwind do occasionally struggle to be heard. The Coriolan overture that accompanies the Eroica is equally wonderful - this is a sensible coupling of these two works as they both deal with heroic figures and both were first performed in the Lobkowitz Palace. Overall I do think it is one of the best renditions of these works I've ever heard.

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Your head has been spared sir! - It really is a recording to knock your socks off.
                              My head was always going to be safe, if this was not to be so I would not have put it on the block. The executioner was in fact I myself, and, fortunately for you, you have saved your own head!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-01-2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X