beethoven music as symbolism in movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PDG:
    I meant the original Fantasia. I've not seen Fantasia 2000, but I imagine I'd find it grotesque.
    The original Fantasia was superb - one of the best films to introduce kids to classical music - I haven't seen Fantasia 2000 either, but it would be hard put to improve on the original.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

The FANTASIA 2000 does'nt reach the quality of the first FANTASIA... (The best moment is the "Apprenti Sorcier" from Dukas... they took it from the first....) I did not like in the first FANTASIA how they treated the 6th (Bacchus scene, etc...) It is only my opinion. In the second one I did not like how they treated the 5th.... I think it is because B.'s music gives her own images : I do not need anything when I hear it....
      In France we have had a "publicité" for a cheese(Camembert !!!) with the 6th !!!! Can you imagine : your friends eating a Camembert in your car during you listen the 6th, and finding the music very good, at least !!!

------------------
      Claudie
      Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        The original Fantasia was superb - one of the best films to introduce kids to classical music - I haven't seen Fantasia 2000 either, but it would be hard put to improve on the original.

Agreed. But I have read of at least one person who cannot listen to the Pastoral Symphony without thinking of centaurs copulating!

Michael

Comment

Jeezopete! Cheesy? Centaurs? Uh-oh, this does not bode well, not at all. ~

Comment

What really confused me about Fantasia 2000 was how crappy the animation was, on the whole. Supposedly, I imagine, Disney was going for a more "classic" animation style, but it just came off as cheap. Music was good, though. Levine's an able conductor, although he's no Stokowski.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
              What really confused me about Fantasia 2000 was how crappy the animation was, on the whole.
              What struck me was that the concepts were good, but the execution (ie butterflies in the 5th) was poor.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael:
                [B] Agreed. But I have read of at least one person who cannot listen to the Pastoral Symphony without thinking of centaurs copulating!

Michael

Sometimes, when I least expect it, that centaur thing happens to me.

Suz

Comment

Originally posted by euphony131:
                  I'd pass on "Clockwork Orange" -- not because it's a lousy film, but because I don't think Nazis marching to the 9th symphony is exactly what B. had in mind when he thought of "Brotherhood." Plus there's all that violence the central character fantasies about and commits while listening to B. -- not the best place to start to get into the "symbolism" of B's music.

In fact, I can no longer stomach watching the movie because of how B's music is so bastardized. It's really a travesty. I know if I was a German I would be totally pissed off -- here you take the greatest thing that country has ever produced (Beethoven) and then compare it to the worst thing (Hitler) that country has ever produced. It's plain sick.
                  I've seen that movie before last summer.....I couldn't stand it watching the whole thing.

Immortal Beloved

Comment

Originally posted by Higgins:
                    Hi everyone,

I need help in finding movies in which beethoven's music was used in some scenes. Thanks.

Higgins
                    The opening bars of the 5th were used frequently in The Longest Day to indicate the threat to the Germans posed by the Allies who were about to land in Normandy.
                    Fate knocking at the door?

Cheers
                    Ad majorem dei gloriam

Comment

The Pom Pom Pom Pooom !!! was also the jingle for the broadcasting Général de GAULLE used when he was speaking to France from LONDON...
                      It was the jingle of the "FRANCE LIBRE", so just after it one heard "ICI LONDRES". He made from London his famous "Appel du 18 juin" which have made so much react french people and push them to join him and better resisting. So thank you B once more : those four notes are meaning a lot for millions of french people and change our destiny ... also with the help of England and America !

------------------
                      Claudie
                      Claudie

Comment

In the movie 'Idle Hands' a reference is made to both Mozart and Beethoven (although not in a particularly generous way). It was a fun, if not horridly disgusting, movie to watch, and for some completely unknown reason I enjoyed hearing Ludwig mentioned in a popular movie. Kinda like the way most Canadians feel whenever an American entertainment media outlet mentions Canada (like, "you haven't forgotten we exist!").

Are you guys starting to get sick of reading me continually plugging Canada? Fine, I'll quit, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
                          [...]Are you guys starting to get sick of reading me continually plugging Canada? Fine, I'll quit, then.
                          It's been entirely too long since I've been to Vancouver BC, a beautiful, world-class city.

On Halloween 1998, we attended a spectacular performance of the Eroica by the Vancouver SO. Tchaikovsky Violin C'to and a commissioned modern (actually quite good) overture preceeded the Symphony.

We were up close, in perhaps row 3, in the center, and surrounded by the sound. In particular, the funeral march was an unrelenting emotional aural assault. It was utterly superb, a quality of LVB performance superior to what we get in Portland.

Comment

Working...
                          X