Symphony # 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symphony # 7

The radio announcer always gives a little remark for each piece he plays. For Beethoven's Seventh, he said that when it premiered, Beethoven invited everyone in Vienna who plays an instrument to play with them, and every musician did indeed turnout. It must have been so much fun! I can imagine modern musicians today who would leap at a chance to pad their resume with something like "I performed in the premiere of Beethoven's Seventh."

Just from my imagination, I would have to guess that he asked them all NOT to join in the Second Movement, which required a more delicate touch. It must have been hilarious in the fourth movement, with Beethoven jumping up and down and exhorting them to go faster, faster, when most of them would have been unable to keep up; so they all played at different tempos with a riotous blare and confusion. I wish I'd been there to see it. Heck, I wish I'd been there to play with them. They wouldn't have had an extra piano available, the only instrument I tickle, but I'd have brought a kazoo!

So, is it true? Did he invite at large like that?

- Susan

------------------
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Beethoven's 7th symphony premiered along with his "Wellington's Victory." Since it was a charity event (for the wounded soldiers) and since the "Battle Symphony" required a larger orchestra, the "who's who" of Vienna music participated in "Wellington's Victory."

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Maelzel arranged a celebrity orchestra for this event - Schuppanzigh as leader, Spohr next to him. Salieri cued the fanfares and salvos. Meyerbeer played the drum on one side of the stage and Hummel on the other. There were many other local celebrities in the orchestra and all this combined to make the evening a tremendous success. For the third concert (Jan 2 1814), during an aria from the Ruins of Athens sung by Weinmueller, Beethoven arranged for the bust of Emperor Franz to appear from behing the curtain!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X