what inspired the "Pathetique" sonata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what inspired the "Pathetique" sonata

i have read of a few thing, and was wondering if there were more that i have missed!
    -mozarts k.457
    -his awareness of his deafness
    they seemed to be the main two that i have gleaned
    after playing chopin i feel as if i had been weeping over sins that i had never committed and mourning over tragedies that were not my own

I don't think he was inspired to produce the Pathetique by his early symptoms of deafness - the slow movement of the earlier D major sonata Op.10/3 is far more profound than anything in the Pathetique. I think you'll find the source of inspiration not in Romantic myths but in works such as the Mozart sonata you mentioned and others like Dussek's C minor sonata Op.35nr3.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 11-18-2006).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Here's something that may help you,

"Beethoven’s Pathetique may very well have been inspired from Mozart’s piano sonata K. 457, since both compositions are in C minor and have three very similar movements. This is, however, just a theory since musicologists don’t seem to come to an agreement on this issue, especially since the unique connection of motifs throughout the sonata constitutes a major step forward from Haydn or Mozart’s creation. Beethoven's Pathetique, still remains one of his most popular sonatas even 200 years after its composition".

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
        Here's something that may help you,

"Beethoven’s Pathetique may very well have been inspired from Mozart’s piano sonata K. 457, since both compositions are in C minor and have three very similar movements. This is, however, just a theory since musicologists don’t seem to come to an agreement on this issue, especially since the unique connection of motifs throughout the sonata constitutes a major step forward from Haydn or Mozart’s creation. Beethoven's Pathetique, still remains one of his most popular sonatas even 200 years after its composition".
        Alfred Brendel wrote a poem on how Beethoven (disguised as Salieri) poisoned Mozart to become the sole owner of the key of c minor.

Comment

Hahaha, LOL!

Comment

I thought Cetto was having us on until I read this:

The Coughers of Cologne have achieved immortality through Alfred Brendel’s poetry. But the annual conference of Ambivalists Associated and the quarrel between the beardless and the bearded, too, made quite a stir, not to mention the Brezel family or the famous company Laughman and Wit. Alfred Brendel’s poems cover topics that are rather unusual in the poetical realm, such as the biography of a pig, related in grunts, over the telephone. And, of course, Brendel also provides interesting glimpses into lesser-known chapters of musical history, exposing Beethoven as the murderer of Mozart, exploring all the ramifications of the day Brahms cut his finger, and providing recipes for boiled as well as smoked piano.

Alfred Brendel
            Spiegelbild und schwarzer Spuk
            Mirror Images and Haunted Houses

With illustrations by Max Neumann, Luis Murschetz, Oskar Pastior and others
            296 pages, Linen
            Publication date: August 30, 2003
            ISBN: 3-446-20349-4
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
            X