Recent sale of 9th Sym autograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent sale of 9th Sym autograph

I need some help here. I remember a sale of the autograph of Beethoven's 9th in the last 3 years. What was the price it went for ?

Steve
    www.mozartforum.com

The autograph copy (not in Beethoven's hand, but with corrections by him) went for $3.4 million. However just one page of the 9th in Beethoven's hand went for $4 million - wasn't this a sketch?

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      The autograph copy (not in Beethoven's hand, but with corrections by him) went for $3.4 million. However just one page of the 9th in Beethoven's hand went for $4 million - wasn't this a sketch?

Thanks Peter

Shows my memory (and information) were not very good on this issue. I had remembered it as being the original en total and selling for somewhere in the area of
      £950,000.

I had always thought that to be absurdly low. Glad to see Beethoven original documents are not valued as low as my misconception had them. The below story was posted at MozartForum recently. To me the asking price being absurdly high. Especially so in light of my misconception
      regarding the 9th auction.

Steve

LONDON (Reuters) - A long lost manuscript of works by German 17th century keyboard maestro Johann Jacob Froberger, also believed to have been a part-time spy, goes on sale later this month with a price tag of 500,000 pounds ($953,500).
      Froberger, who eventually rivaled the stature of his former teacher the Italian composer Girolamo Frescobaldi, was hailed in his lifetime and beyond as one of the greatest masters of 17th century keyboard music.
      The previously unrecorded book, bearing the arms of Leopold I on both covers, contains 35 pieces of keyboard music of which 18 are completely unknown.
      "The 18 new pieces, which amount to over 180 pages of new music and increase the composer's canon of known works by about a fifth, are examples of his hitherto unknown 'final period'," said manuscript expert Simon Maguire of auction house Sotheby's.
      "Its discovery will change the history of 17th century music," he added.
      Froberger, who is credited with inventing the Baroque suite for keyboard, was born in Stuttgart in 1616.
      At the age of 18 he moved to Vienna where he became court organist in 1637 -- the same year he went to Rome to study under Frescobaldi.
      He returned to Vienna in 1641 to make it his base for the next 16 years, often traveling on what are assumed to have been secret diplomatic missions in that they took him to countries in strife and with no apparent musical purpose to be served.
      Among places he is known to have visited are Brussels, Dresden, Antwerp, London and Paris.
      Little is known about his travels after 1658, although Froberger is known to have spent his final years teaching and in virtual seclusion in the eastern French town of Hericourt.
      His music is known to have influenced master composers like Pachelbel and Bach and possibly even Mozart.
      The manuscript is being put up for sale by its unnamed European owner at Sotheby's in London on November 30.
      www.mozartforum.com

Comment

Working...
      X