Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piano Concerto's: Ashkenazy or Brendel, or...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano Concerto's: Ashkenazy or Brendel, or...

Christmas will be here in around a month and a half. My family has asked me what I would like to get. I told them I would send them an email, saying what to get me. I have decided on the complete set of Beethoven's Piano Concerto's.

The names that come to my mind are Ashkenazy and Brendel. I will post links below so that y'all can see the cd's I am talking about.

I was also, wondering if there was any recording better than the Ashkenazy and Brendel recordings? If so, please tell me what y'all recommend.

Also, if I were to order the complete collection of Beethoven's String Quartets, is the Emerson Quartet the way to go. NPR says it is.
    http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Pian...e=UTF8&s=music
    http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Pian...e=UTF8&s=music
    http://www.iclassics.com/productDetail?contentId=1290

Thank you for any help,
    Preston

------------------
    "But well I know that God is nearer to me than to other artists; I associate with Him without fear; I have always recognized and understood Him and have no fear for my music- it can meet no evil fate." LVB
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

I have the Brendel recordings and quite like them. Ashkenazy is good, too, from what I've read and heard, although I haven't had an opportunity to compare them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
      I have the Brendel recordings and quite like them. Ashkenazy is good, too, from what I've read and heard, although I haven't had an opportunity to compare them.
      In the Brendel recordings, in the 1st movement of the 4th concerto, in the recapitulation does it state the main theme fortissimo on the piano. I think I described that correctly. That is what Peter told me it was.

If that is wrong, what I am saying is at about 9:20 in the first movement do the strings and flute rip away very loudly twice, then the horns kick in very loudly, then the piano comes in solo very loudly.

The reason I ask is because I love this part, and have heard a version where this did not happen.

Thanks Sorrano,
      Preston

------------------
      "But well I know that God is nearer to me than to other artists; I associate with Him without fear; I have always recognized and understood Him and have no fear for my music- it can meet no evil fate." LVB

Comment

Originally posted by Preston:
        In the Brendel recordings, in the 1st movement of the 4th concerto, in the recapitulation does it state the main theme fortissimo on the piano. I think I described that correctly. That is what Peter told me it was.

If that is wrong, what I am saying is at about 9:20 in the first movement do the strings and flute rip away very loudly twice, then the horns kick in very loudly, then the piano comes in solo very loudly.

The reason I ask is because I love this part, and have heard a version where this did not happen.

Thanks Sorrano,
        Preston

That does sound like it could be the recap, but I would have to listen to it in it's context. Of all the Beethoven concerti the 4th is the one I've listened to least. It's a shame, I know.

Comment

Peter, do you know anything about the Brendel recordings. Does it have the recapitulation in the 4th concerto I described?

Kind Regards,
          Preston

------------------

Comment

Peter, do you know anything about the Brendel recordings. Does it have the recapitulation in the 4th concerto I described?

Kind Regards,
            Preston

Yes - I don't know a recording where the pianist fails to observe the FF marking.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have Perahia's recordings of the Concertos which are, as you might expect very fine and expressive - though not perhaps as dramatic as Ashkenazy. Brendel of course is in a class of his own. As for the Quartets as I've said on other ooccasions, my personal preference is for the Lindsays, but I also have the Quartetto Italiano as a (very highly polished) benchmark ! The recent recordings by the Takacs Quartet are also quite superb.

------------------
              Beethoven the Man!
              Beethoven the Man!

Comment

So it sounds like Brendel is the way to go. JA did you listen to the Emerson, if so, what did you think? Thanks for the tips, y'all.

Here is the recording where they play the recapitulation very softly (piano).

Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Concerto #4
                Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra
                Marek Janowski, conductor
                Gerhard Oppitz, piano
                RCA 68417

------------------

[This message has been edited by Preston (edited 11-13-2006).]

Comment

So it sounds like Brendel is the way to go. JA did you listen to the Emerson, if so, what did you think? Thanks for the tips, y'all.

Gerhard Oppitz, piano
                  RCA 68417

The fortissimo part in the recapitulation is when the solo piano announces the theme -then the orchestra comes in very softly.

My own personal favourite recording is Emil Gilels, George Szell/Cleveland Orch.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Gerhard Oppitz, piano
                    RCA 68417

Hi Preston - no I haven't heard the Emersons although others here and many of the review guides speak very highly of their recording along with the others I mentioned.

As for Christmas presents, I'm hankering after a really good set of the Boss's Piano Sonatas - that would certainly keep me going well into the New Year! Brendel again would be my top choice - though expensive, as is Richard Goode, but for the moment I'm currently enjoying a much cheaper but very satisfying historical set by Artur Schnabel. Just wish he'd had the recording quality he deserved....

------------------
                    Beethoven the Man!
                    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

I've posted here before that the Medici Quartet's "Complete String Quartets" on Nimbus (DDD) is just about all you'll ever need. At the cost of a cheap night out, it really should not be resisted (it also includes a fine performance of the neglected Quintet, Op.29).

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                        The fortissimo part in the recapitulation is when the solo piano announces the theme -then the orchestra comes in very softly.

I was talking about the part before the piano announces the theme. Around the 7 seconds before the piano states the theme fortissimo. The part I am talking about is very loud.

PDG, I found this interesting about the Medici Quartet:
                        Paul Robertson first violin, plays a Domenicus Montagnana violin made in Venice in 1729.
                        Stephen Morris second violin, plays a Joannes Udalricus Eberle violin made in Prague in 1760.
                        Ivo-Jan van der Werff, viola plays a Giovanni Grancino viola made in Milan circa 1690.
                        Anthony Lewis, cello plays a Giancinto Rugeri cello made in Cremona circa 1690.

Kind Regards,
                        Preston

------------------

[This message has been edited by Preston (edited 11-13-2006).]

Comment

I was talking about the part before the piano announces the theme. Around the 7 seconds before the piano states the theme fortissimo. The part I am talking about is very loud.

Kind Regards,
                          Preston

No, this part is intended to be played pianissimo. By flutes and horns.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                            No, this part is intended to be played pianissimo. By flutes and horns.

I disagree with that. The reason why is because it sounds perfect played loudly. The part where the strings and flute rip away loudly twice, then horns kick in strongly, and then the strings rip away loudly, then the piano comes in solo fortissimo.

Here is an example of what I am talking about: http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadband/mediawrapper/consoles/beethoven/nb_rm_console.shtml?pac k2

Go to program 2 and listen to the part I am talking about in the 1st movement. It is unreal. The first half of the program is he explaining the work. Then they perform the 4th concerto.

I have heard several versions all of them were somewhat loud. I consider this one to be the absolute best.

Sorrano, would you mind listening to the link I posted and tell me if the part right before the solo piano playing fortissimo, is like the Brendel version?

Kind Regards,
                            Preston

------------------

[This message has been edited by Preston (edited 11-14-2006).]

Comment

I disagree with that. The reason why is because it sounds perfect played loudly. The part where the strings and flute rip away loudly twice, then horns kick in strongly, and then the strings rip away loudly, then the piano comes in solo fortissimo.

Here is an example of what I am talking about: http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadband/mediawrapper/consoles/beethoven/nb_rm_console.shtml?pac k2

Go to program 2 and listen to the part I am talking about in the 1st movement. It is unreal. The first half of the program is he explaining the work. Then they perform the 4th concerto.

I have heard several versions all of them were somewhat loud. I consider this one to be the absolute best.

Sorrano, would you mind listening to the link I posted and tell me if the part right before the solo piano playing fortissimo, is like the Brendel version?

Kind Regards,
                              Preston

You are right Preston - 5 bars before the piano states the theme FF, the orchestra should crescendo from PP to FF - those chords and the horn entry just before the piano entry should be loud - that's what Beethoven wrote!

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 11-14-2006).]
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X