Beethoven: A stylistic comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Preston:
    I have heard that the string quartets are some of the greatest music ever created. I have heard it from several people. Kind Regards,
    Preston

I don't think many on this site would disagree!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

That is, simply put, AMAZING! I am so blown away that Beethoven had stylistic comparison from his earlier pieces to his late period. Could we possibly imagine being Beethoven? Imagine the feelings that he felt! I bet he felt the most marvelous and serious feelings, literally.

Peter, do you have a favorite string quartet? What do you find so fascinating about them? The reason I ask is because I read on this forum that you were a professional musician, and you seem to know Beethoven quite well!

Here is the link to the interview and a few movements of the string quartets, http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/pt/02062...enquartets.ram .

Preston

------------------
      "But well I know that God is nearer to me than to other artists; I associate with Him without fear; I have always recognized and understood Him and have no fear for my music- it can meet no evil fate." LVB

[This message has been edited by Preston (edited 10-31-2006).]
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston:
        That is, simply put, AMAZING! I am so blown away that Beethoven had stylistic comparison from his earlier pieces to his late period. Could we possibly imagine being Beethoven? Imagine the feelings that he felt! I bet he felt the most marvelous and serious feelings, literally.

Peter, do you have a favorite string quartet? What do you find so fascinating about them? The reason I ask is because I read on this forum that you were a professional musician, and you seem to know Beethoven quite well!

Here is the link to the interview and a few movements of the string quartets, http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/pt/02062...enquartets.ram .

Preston

I don't have one particular favourite, but out of them for me Op.18 nr.1, Op.59 nr.1, Op.74, Op.95, Op.130 and Op.131 are my personal favourites. I think they are so fascinating because they are the most intimate statement Beethoven made, they are on such a personal level and they are amongst the greatest music ever written by anyone. Wonderful as the orchestral and choral music is, the quartets and sonatas reveal the essence of Beethoven, like his inner soul on display.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X