On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

1893 -- "Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky conducts the premiere of his Symphony No. 6, "Pathetique," in St. Petersburg only nine days before his death of cholera."

Although isn't it still a mystery as to what he died from or has this been solved once and for all?

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    1893 -- "Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky conducts the premiere of his Symphony No. 6, "Pathetique," in St. Petersburg only nine days before his death of cholera."

Although isn't it still a mystery as to what he died from or has this been solved once and for all?

The latest scholarly consensus is that he died from that symphony.
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
      Chaszz that is good!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

I don't think this one will be definitely solved until all the available material is made available (I don't think full access has been granted the biographers to the Tchaikovsky archives) - which suggests some sort of cover up, probably to hide the composer's homosexuality. I think suicide is very plausible considering his depressive nature. Whether this was due to blackmail is open to debate.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
          Ha! Ha!

------------------

Comment

Working...
          X