On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

Oct. 27th, 1782 -- Italian violin virtuoso and composer Niccolo Paganini is born in Genoa. Some information; "He wrote much of his music for his own performances, music so difficult that it was commonly thought that he entered into a pack with the Devil. His compositions included 24 caprices (published in 1820) for unaccompanied violin that are among the most difficult works ever written for the instrument. He also challenged musicians with such compositions as his 12 sonatas for violin and guitar; 6 violin concerti; and 6 quartets for violin, viola, cello, and guitar".
    I found this to be most interesting and I didn't know this;

According to Philip Sandblom in his book 'Creativity and Disease' "few geniuses have experienced such lucky agonies as Paganini, bedeviled by a host of chronic complaints, including Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, marked by excessive flexibility of the joints. “This enabled Paganini to perform the astonishing double-stoppings and roulades for which he was famous”, Sandblom writes. “His wrist was so loose that he could move and twist it in all directions. Although his hand was not disproportional he could thus double its reach and play in the first three positions without shifting.”

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    Oct. 27th, 1782 -- Italian violin virtuoso and composer Niccolo Paganini is born in Genoa. Some information; "He wrote much of his music for his own performances, music so difficult that it was commonly thought that he entered into a pack with the Devil. His compositions included 24 caprices (published in 1820) for unaccompanied violin that are among the most difficult works ever written for the instrument. He also challenged musicians with such compositions as his 12 sonatas for violin and guitar; 6 violin concerti; and 6 quartets for violin, viola, cello, and guitar".
    I found this to be most interesting and I didn't know this;

According to Philip Sandblom in his book 'Creativity and Disease' "few geniuses have experienced such lucky agonies as Paganini, bedeviled by a host of chronic complaints, including Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, marked by excessive flexibility of the joints. “This enabled Paganini to perform the astonishing double-stoppings and roulades for which he was famous”, Sandblom writes. “His wrist was so loose that he could move and twist it in all directions. Although his hand was not disproportional he could thus double its reach and play in the first three positions without shifting.”

I wonder if he knew that 24th Caprice would cause such a stir, inspiring variations from Liszt, Brahms, Rachmaninov and Szymanowski, oh and Andrew lloyd-Webber!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 10-28-2006).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

And Schumann, Moscheles, Kuhlau, Hummel... the list goes on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        I wonder if he knew that 24th Caprice would cause such a stir, inspiring variations from Liszt, Brahms, Rachmaninov and Szymanowski, oh and Andrew lloyd-Webber!

That's my favourite of Paganini. I've seen Andrew Lloyd Webber's son perform this on cello, very good!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          That's my favourite of Paganini. I've seen Andrew Lloyd Webber's son perform this on cello, very good!

I think it's his brother Julian! Another Paganini hit was La campanella, the finale from the 2nd Violin concerto which Liszt turned into a spectacular piano etude, in fact there are several versions, the earlier I think being even more impossible to play!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 10-28-2006).]
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
          X