Beethoven vs. Mozart - VOTE HERE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:
    I agree - at least we're trying to do something about it on this site!

About this: Which is the actual regime of update of the rare page?

Comment

Originally posted by SR:
      What would the objective criteria be for REALLY being able to pick a "best". Number of compositions ? Number of notes ? The order in which chords are used ? Number of melodies that can be sung in the shower ? Amount of money generated in composers life ? or afterword ?

Any comparison based on quantity is abosultely invalid. I think this debate will be very long and won't bring us to any result, as everybody has different opinions.
      Maybe I will have to agree with those who say that there are a few composers like Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc. that can be considered the best. But it is difficult to abandon my absolutist idea.

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
        there are a few composers like Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc. that can be considered the best.
        That's completely true for all I know. All of the composer concider the best ones around.

------------------
        freedom for all- Ludwig Van Beethoven

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 01-15-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 01-15-2002).]

Comment

Any comparison based on quantity is abosultely invalid. I think this debate will be very long and won't bring us to any result, as everybody has different opinions.
          Maybe I will have to agree with those who say that there are a few composers like Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc. that can be considered the best. But it is difficult to abandon my absolutist idea.
          The only real objective way to carry out a debate such as this is to establish criteria that is agreed by all--such as who had better contrapuntal skills, who's music made a greater influence on those composers that followed, who's music is generally more appealing to the masses, and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            I suspect this position is the norm, but I would rate Handel's concerti over Bach's, and I've got some H sonatas that are brilliant and deep, and harpsicord stuff that sounds almost Beethovenian in invention and dynamism - never does the instrument sound so bold and powerful. Yet Bach's efforts have little emotional impact on me whatsoever! Bach's emotion is in suspention, tasteful, but not so much on a personal level for me. he spent too long in the church I think.

Perhaps I needed to be a bit more specific. While on one hand I could do without the Brandenburg Concerti I could not stand to be without all the fugues for the keyboard instruments. Some of those move me as profoundly as any other composer's works. And, like you indicated, Handel's instrumental works are generally more interesting; however, I stand by the fugues as one of the highest forms of writing (for me, personally) which is one reason that I stand in deepest respect of Beethoven in regards to his fugues in his chamber music.

Comment

About this: Which is the actual regime of update of the rare page?
              I try to upload a new piece every week circa Monday, the holidays messed that up a bit, it then depends on when Peter can update the page.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by SR:

Four Season would qualify him. What classical fan doesn't own at least one copy ?

Me.

------------------

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sorrano:
                  The only real objective way to carry out a debate such as this is to establish criteria that is agreed by all--such as who had better contrapuntal skills,

Bach

who's music made a greater influence on those composers that followed,

Wagner

who's music is generally more appealing to the masses, and so forth.

Johann Strauss

Doesn't really help much!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Peter:
                    Originally posted by Sorrano:
                    The only real objective way to carry out a debate such as this is to establish criteria that is agreed by all--such as who had better contrapuntal skills,

Bach

who's music made a greater influence on those composers that followed,

Wagner

who's music is generally more appealing to the masses, and so forth.

Johann Strauss

Doesn't really help much!
                    Except that in this topic we are comparing only Mozart and Beethoven. I think it would help a great deal to have established criteria--otherwise we are all disagreeing on one point or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      Me.
                      You can have my copy of the Four Seasons if you want. (Along with a few other of Vivaldi's works I never listen to anyway.)

Comment

Except that in this topic we are comparing only Mozart and Beethoven. I think it would help a great deal to have established criteria--otherwise we are all disagreeing on one point or the other.
                        I think we would disagree whatever criteria we came up with - you could ask some of the world's greatest musicians and they wouldn't be able to answer this question to everyone's satisfaction, they could only express their own personal preference.

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

BTW Peter...

I wanted to mention how nice it was to find someone willing to devote the required hours to administrate a site devoted to Beethoven who also had a balanced POV about other composers.

Regards

Steve
                          www.mozartforum.com

Comment

Yes, and it is a non-crap site at that. How many other sites do things like the Rare Beethoven? (And Rod gets credit for that part as well.)

Comment

Originally posted by SR:
                              BTW Peter...

I wanted to mention how nice it was to find someone willing to devote the required hours to administrate a site devoted to Beethoven who also had a balanced POV about other composers.

Regards

Steve
                              Thanks Steve - I think my musical background is responsible for that - Beethoven has to be put into context and the wider the knowledge of other composers the better we are able to do that. Beethoven might not have thought much of his contemporaries (there wasn't a lot of competition mind you) but he did have great respect for the composers of the past, particularly Handel, Bach, Mozart, Haydn . His judgement was as usual sound and these composers are still rightly held in high regard around the world. As a musician I simply do not see it in terms of competition - great music is great music no matter who wrote it.

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

You can have my copy of the Four Seasons if you want. (Along with a few other of Vivaldi's works I never listen to anyway.)
                                Thanks, but no thanks...especially if it's the version by that idiot 'Kennedy'.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 01-12-2002).]

Comment

Working...
                                X