On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

On October 22, 1811 -- Franz Liszt, Hungarian piano virtuoso, improviser, composer, and master teacher, is born in Raiding.

I had to put this one on the forum because he is one of the composers and pianist extraordinaire that I admire so much.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

I share your admiration. He is actually my favorite composer after Beethoven and I've been listening to his music all day (I'm not kidding). I'm now on the Fantasie and Fugue on a Theme from Meyerbeer.

Here's to the great man, the artist who lived by the motto, "GĂ©nie oblige!," the pianist excelsior, and the extraordinary composer:

Happy Birthday, Liszt

Comment

Thanks for those great pictures NK. Very enjoyable and I certainly agree!

------------------

Comment

Thanks for posting that! I, too, admire Liszt a great deal but have not listened to a lot of his music.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
          Thanks for posting that! I, too, admire Liszt a great deal but have not listened to a lot of his music.
          Hi Sorrano. Don't fret it. Liszt's great endeavours are in his transcriptions (mainly of Beethoven). He was an average composer of wholly original music, by any yardstick.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
            He was an average composer of wholly original music, by any yardstick.
            Average? I disagree, sir

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
              Average? I disagree, sir
              Hexameron, your cover is blown, sir!! I know you from the "other place". Regards, etc....

Comment

Hmm, which place? I frequent many places

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
                  Average? I disagree, sir
                  I agree with you! The Totentanz is I think a masterpiece for one, far superior to either of the piano concertos, though I quite like no.1.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                    Hi Sorrano. Don't fret it. Liszt's great endeavours are in his transcriptions (mainly of Beethoven). He was an average composer of wholly original music, by any yardstick.

His orchestral works are quite nice and ingenious. Many of his works lean away from conventional tonality and foresee the new and a-tonalities of the next Century. The opening of the Faust Symphony is a good example of that.

Comment

Working...
                    X