No announcement yet.

What Are You Listening To Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm listening to Beethoven's sonata Op.111 for piano and I'll listen to Mendelssohn.

Comment

Tchaikovsky's 'Mazeppa'.

Comment

Just started the Norrington Beethoven cycle and will be interested in the comparison of the sounds between his orchestra and that of the Hanover Band. I am not as interested in who sticks closest to the prescribed tempo since tempo is relative to the recording acoustics, but rather which is able to do something lively with the music itself.

I have to add that I did listen to the 1st symphony this afternoon (I plan to listen to the 2nd a little later) and was impressed that the Norrington orchestra sounded much tamer than the Hanover Band; then I realized that of course, the 1st Symphony was orchestrated much more conservatively than the overtures. But I did like the sound of the Norrington and the performance.

[This message has been edited by Sorrano (edited 07-17-2006).]

Comment

Isn't anyone listening to anything of note anymore?

Today I listened to the Beethoven 5th and 6th Symphonies, played by the Norrington Orchestra. Nice performances even if they seemed to me a bit rushed (particularly the 1st movement of the 6th).

One thing I've noticed that in listening to the first 6 symphonies that each is louder and more boisterous than the previous. While the 6th has many quiet moments I don't think there had been anything quite like the 4th movement in terms of dynamics and dissonance. And then the 7th, maybe next week....?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
            ...I don't think there had been anything quite like the 4th movement in terms of dynamics and dissonance.
            I agree. It's certainly even my favorite movement from that symphony. So suddenly and with such little time, Beethoven evokes passion, tension, and an actual "feeling" of an impending disaster with those clashing sounds of the Thunderstorm. I also recommend listening to Liszt's piano transcription of it; the most thunderous and rapidly pounding sound I've ever heard delivered through the piano.

Comment

Oh, and while I'm here, I might as well contribute what I'm listening to (this very moment in fact). It's Mozart (don't hurt me guys): The kyrie movement from the Mass in C minor K. 427.

One word: Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                On Bastille Day The Marseilleise started out as a patriotic rallying cry of the French Revolution, but quickly became the French National Anthem. Rolf Shulte will play tonight a solo violin version of it, written by Igor Stravinsky. Then in celebration for Bastille Day, will be Fetes (or Festivals) by Claude Debussy. Hugh Wolf will conduct the Juilliard Symphony.
                Dear Joy;

Someone will have to explain to me how the French made Bastille Day into such a holiday. It is my understanding that when the Bastille was stormed, there were only seven "prisoners" in it. Please note the quoatation marks because the Bastille was used as a hospital for the mentally ill.

Sorry if I slipped off-subject.

Hofrat
                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                  Isn't anyone listening to anything of note anymore?

Today I listened to the Beethoven 5th and 6th Symphonies, played by the Norrington Orchestra. Nice performances even if they seemed to me a bit rushed (particularly the 1st movement of the 6th).
                  I think Norrington's tempo is perfect for the 6th first movement. The 5th on this disk is not as good in my opinion.

------------------
                  "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                  http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                    I think Norrington's tempo is perfect for the 6th first movement. The 5th on this disk is not as good in my opinion.

Agreed. The first movement of the Sixth is nearly always played otherwise too slowly (when the repeats are not observed).

Comment

Right now, I am listening to the Eighth Symphony, performed by the Czech Philharmonic.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

I felt that Norrington was rushing the tempo almost constantly in the 1st movement of the 6th. However, I was quite satisfied with the 5th. I do agree, though, that the tempo should be faster than what it is normally taken.

Comment

I'm currently listening to Cyprien Katsaris playing Liszt's transcription of beethoven's 7th and 6th symphony...WOWSERS that man can play...

Comment

The final minutes of Aaron Copland's 'Appalachian Spring' and also looking at the final movement of Beethoven's 'Eroica'.

Is there anywhere online one can see the music score to Beethoven's 'Fidelio' ? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 08-01-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Is there anywhere online one can see the music score to Beethoven's 'Fidelio' ? Thanks.

Dear Robert;

A couple years ago, I was in a shopping mall in Montreal. A book seller was getting rid of old inventory. I did not think I would find anything of interest as it looked like tons upon tons of do-it-yourself books. Out of one of the boxes protruded part of a name: "Beeth...." I snatched it blindly. It was the full *Fidelio* score by Dover in good condition! It cost me $5 Canadian!! A real steal!!!

You never know what you will find at ald inventory sales!!

Hofrat
                              "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Hofrat,

Wow ! You must have been so happy !

I've never actually seen the score of 'Fidelio'. I want to add something special (and only by Beethoven) for a scene in a screenplay I am working on which itself starts about a minute or so in to the screenplay. (The time when the titles start rolling). I've thought of the little march from Fidelio or possibly something from the last movement of the Eroica. The march seems somehow better. (It will show an 18th century sailing ship heading for the horizon on its way to France from Dover in England - carrying on board Thomas Paine - who has just escaped arrest at Dover port by literally minutes). The little Fidelio march seems great because of its radiant optimism - but I wonder. Would like to see the score. Perhaps I can find it somehow.

Regards

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 08-01-2006).]

Comment

Working...
                                X