No announcement yet.

'Copying Beethoven'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Rivele, I have a small question about your script. Why did you include the scene where Beethoven smashes the model bridge of Anna's fiancé Martin?

Beethoven had a deep respect for other artists, and scientists, and creators of all types. He could be rough with people, and even rude -- but to show him actually smashing up someone else's proud creation might give people the wrong idea.

Beethoven was no bully, and the kind of mean-spirited irreverence it would take to destroy someone else's work like that reminds me of the Joker in "Batman" (the museum scene). It seems very out of character for Beethoven and I wonder if he would be upset at being portrayed that way.

I have not yet seen your film, and I am greatly looking forward to it (to say the least!!) -- and I understand most of the changes you've made to historical fact were driven by dramatic necessity.

I know about this scene only from the trailer and from Harvey Karten's review from NY Film Critics Online, so forgive me if I am making a premature judgment.

But I was just wondering, is there a particular incident you based this on?

Does it really seem like something Beethoven would do?

Comment

Originally posted by Pizarro:
      Mr. Rivele, I have a small question about your script. Why did you include the scene where Beethoven smashes the model bridge of Anna's fiancé Martin?

Beethoven had a deep respect for other artists, and scientists, and creators of all types. He could be rough with people, and even rude -- but to show him actually smashing up someone else's proud creation might give people the wrong idea.

Beethoven was no bully, and the kind of mean-spirited irreverence it would take to destroy someone else's work like that reminds me of the Joker in "Batman" (the museum scene). It seems very out of character for Beethoven and I wonder if he would be upset at being portrayed that way.

I have not yet seen your film, and I am greatly looking forward to it (to say the least!!) -- and I understand most of the changes you've made to historical fact were driven by dramatic necessity.

I know about this scene only from the trailer and from Harvey Karten's review from NY Film Critics Online, so forgive me if I am making a premature judgment.

But I was just wondering, is there a particular incident you based this on?

Does it really seem like something Beethoven would do?

The smashing was motivated by two things. First, jealousy. There is an undercurrent of attraction between Beethoven and Anna, and it explodes here. Second, he is making the point that the 'new men' of science are 'slide rules without souls,' and must be taught a lesson; namely, that creativity must be based in passion, desire, inspiration and originality. (We made the bridge look as heavy and lifeless as possible.) It is a polemic between art and science which forms a minor theme in the film, and culminates in this scene. But, ultimately, his intentions are honest. As he says to Anna, when she upbraids him for his cruelty: 'I may have saved his soul, if he has one.'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Thanks Stephen, please do.

I am pleased to report that our film has won the Critics' Prize at the San Sebastian Film Festival in Spain. European reviews so far are very good. American critics, however, still seem puzzled.

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:

I am pleased to report that our film has won the Critics' Prize at the San Sebastian Film Festival in Spain. European reviews so far are very good. American critics, however, still seem puzzled.
          Well, congratulations, Stephen, on the Critics' Prize at the Festival. I'm glad that the European reviews have been positive. I wouldn't worry too much about the American critics, you know the films which are more to their liking I'm sure. I know someone who works at the Harkins theatres and he said he "didn't even know if they would show this film and if they would it probably wouldn't be there for very long." They have to make room for 'Beerfest' and 'Jackass 2'. I'm not surprised although it's a sad commentary let me tell you.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Mr. Rivele,
            When you tell us what cities, in USA, the movie is going to premier, can you name the theaters also, so we can go ahead and order tickets?

Thanks,
            Preston
            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

The film premiered in Israel at the Haifa Film Festival and won universal acclaim and another standing ovation. Only the U.S. critics seem to be confused by it. And that is unfortunate. I have been told that people are now seeing trailers in the theaters. Since I have a four-year-old, I rarely get to the movies. But any sightings would be of interest.

Comment

I'm happy! From the point of view of someone who doesn't live in USA, it seems that what U.S. critics and public decide marks the destiny of everything in the world...it seems you have so much authority! I hope this isn't the case, and European people and critics won't be influenced. i.e.there is some rubbish in Italian cinema and it has great success, as it is everywhere else. Would you prefere a great success and critics down or vice-versa, mr. Rivele? And what is their importance for the exit of a film over there?

Comment

I'm happy! From the point of view of someone who doesn't live in USA, it seems that what U.S. critics and public decide marks the destiny of everything in the world...it seems you have so much authority! I hope this isn't the case, and European people and critics won't be influenced. i.e.there is some rubbish in Italian cinema and it has great success, as it is everywhere else. Would you prefere a great success and critics down or vice-versa, mr. Rivele? And what is their importance for the exit of a film over there?

Comment

Originally posted by terry:
                    It is not that we have great authority; we have the biggest market. If a film is not a commerical success here, it is unlikely to turn a profit for its investors. For the sake of the investors, I hope our film does well at the boxoffice. Of course, I prefer critical praise, but it is not essential to me, since I know something about the critics and their varying agendas. I recall distinctly that when Newsweek featured our film, NIXON, on its cover and gave it a good review, Time Magazine felt compelled to trash it. One final point on profitability: If a film such as ours is not a financial success, it chills the market for similar films in the future, making it that much harder for the film-makers to find funding. And so, for this reason, perhaps more than any other, I hope for its success.

Comment

The film premiered in Israel at the Haifa Film Festival and won universal acclaim and another standing ovation. Only the U.S. critics seem to be confused by it. And that is unfortunate. I have been told that people are now seeing trailers in the theaters. Since I have a four-year-old, I rarely get to the movies. But any sightings would be of interest.
                      Good news about the film festival, that's great! My brother and his son are huge movie goers so I will ask him when and if they see the trailer at any of their cinema outings.

------------------

Comment

It is not that we have great authority; we have the biggest market. If a film is not a commerical success here, it is unlikely to turn a profit for its investors. For the sake of the investors, I hope our film does well at the boxoffice. Of course, I prefer critical praise, but it is not essential to me, since I know something about the critics and their varying agendas. I recall distinctly that when Newsweek featured our film, NIXON, on its cover and gave it a good review, Time Magazine felt compelled to trash it. One final point on profitability: If a film such as ours is not a financial success, it chills the market for similar films in the future, making it that much harder for the film-makers to find funding. And so, for this reason, perhaps more than any other, I hope for its success.
                        As we all hope for it's success, Stephen. Very interesting how the movie industry works. I've learned a lot.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X