How did classical music get its name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did classical music get its name?

What I am wondering is why classical music is called classical music?

I don't understand why it is. I used to think it was because of the classical era. That it just kind of caught on because there was an era in time named classical. But they call people like Stravinsky classical, who was in the 20th century. And Beethoven who was in the 19th century.

Just wondering,
    Preston
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

I would imagine that because Mozart is considered the peak of this type of music (by some), the entire output is called "Classical" because this is the era where all of Mozart's music falls into...

...However, it is, as you suggest, confusing...I think we should come up with a whole new name for all this type of music.

Even names like "Symphonic" would leave out non-symphonic genres and "Instrumental" would be too broad...

...what do you think it should be called?

Comment

I am still new to music but I will give it a shot. I have heard by some people that it is a style. Although, I do not believe that. I feel that sonata form is a style, but that there is no classical or romantic, etc. style. I feel that the composers wrote in sonata form or whatever other form and wrote what they felt or imagined, or what they wanted to write about.

If I had to rename classical I would call it "orchestral".

Kind Regards HaydnFan,
      Preston

[This message has been edited by Preston (edited 10-12-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by Preston:
        I am still new to music but I will give it a shot. I have heard by some people that it is a style. Although, I do not believe that. I feel that sonata form is a style, but that there is no classical or romantic, etc. style. I feel that the composers wrote in sonata form or whatever other form and wrote what they felt or imagined, or what they wanted to write about.

If I had to rename classical I would call it "orchestral".

Kind Regards HaydnFan,
        Preston

Classical music is a term generally used by most people to refer to all 'serious' western music. However in its strictest sense it describes a style of music that roughly spanned 1750-1830, the chief representatives being Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert. I think the term classical is used to describe music of this period because it represents the perfection and mastery of musical form akin to the art and architecture of the ancient Greeks. Your definition wouldn't work because what about solo instrumental or chamber music?

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter, couldn't "orchestral" speak as a whole, since the different kinds of music use instruments from an orchestra? I don't really know. Then have the types of music such as chamber, solo, etc. It is hard for me to explain, so I hope this makes sense.

I like what you said about how it refers to forms of serious orchestral music.

Preston

Comment

I would call it "art music" and "popular music" to distinguish between music that was created with the primary intention of being a serious work of art and music that was created primarily to entertain. That doesn't quite do it, because of prog rock and things like that, but I think it's a good start.

Comment

Chris, surely not "popular music". That is already a genre, and a terrible one, in my opinion. I doubt that composers would want their music to be called "popular music".

Kind Regards,
              Preston

Comment

Peter, couldn't "orchestral" speak as a whole, since the different kinds of music use instruments from an orchestra?

Preston

But of course, the piano is not an orchestral instrument. Surely, classical just means perfection of form. A beautiful woman may be said to have "classical" features, and such music is similarly admired. I believe the term "classical music" was coined by the Romantics though it never really applied to their own composers.

Comment

PDG, I thought the piano was definitely an orchestral instrument. Even though it is used in different styles of music, didn't it originate with the orchestra and is constantly used with the orchestra?

Why do you say the piano is not an orchestral instrument?

From,
                  Preston

Comment

Hi Preston. No, the piano is not a traditional orchestral instrument. The four established sections of the symphony orchestra are strings, brass, woodwind and percussion. The piano is a mere baby by comparison in terms of its concert hall history.

Comment

Chris, surely not "popular music". That is already a genre, and a terrible one, in my opinion. I doubt that composers would want their music to be called "popular music".

Kind Regards,
                      Preston
                      It was the existing definition I was using. And it is hardly a terrible genre. In fact, it is far too broad to label it a genre. It is simply not created for the same purposes as "classical" music and should not be approached that way.

Comment

Hi Preston, I agree with the others who say that "orchestral" is not an appropriate term because the term orchestral refers to the orchestra and of course, not all of this music utilizes the orchestra.

I agree with the term "art music". It is not the best definition but it is probably better than all the rest in describing this music (ie. all the music ranging from Early Baroque/Late Renaissance up until, I would say, the 1970's and 80's).

Comment

Art Music? Yuk! What on earth does that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                            I would call it "art music"...
                            I think "classical music" sounds better!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                              Art Music? Yuk! What on earth does that mean?
                              It means music that is created to be a work of art...as I said.

Comment

Working...
                              X