Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Berlioz Requiem (Prior Notice of Performance)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berlioz Requiem (Prior Notice of Performance)

I understand from a friend who is a member of the Royal Society here in London that there is to be a lecture at the Royal Society itself on 27th September on the subject of Berlioz and tickets will be offered to those attending it for a performance at the Barbican of the Berlioz Requiem shortly afterwards.

I do not have the details of the orchestra/conductor or soloists but if anyone is interested please let me know. I plan to go to both the lecture and also the concert itself.

Originally posted by robert newman:

I plan to go to both the lecture and also the concert itself.

What ghastly afliction has come upon you Robert?

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Ha ha ! Rod ! Well, there are many good reasons to look forward to this Berlioz lecture and concert. First is he himself considered his Requiem in the very last year of his life to be his greatest work -

'If I were threatened with the destruction of the whole of my work save for one piece I should crave mercy for my Requiem Mass' (1869)

Secondly, he wrote around the time of its first performance in 1837 -

'My brain felt as though it would explode with the pressure of ideas while writing it'

Third, that the scheduled premiere of this piece was cancelled (first written to commemorate the 1830 Revolution) and it took until 1837 before it was first performed to rapturous applause in Paris. One commentator spoke of it as 'strange and beautiful, wild, convulsive and painful..' etc.

It's scored for large orchestra plus four brass ensembles (one for each corner of the concert hall) and a large percussion section.

I will read Volume 3 of the John Suchet biography of Beethoven ('Passion and Glory - The Last Master') which I've just found again should I get bored with such a Berlioz concert !!!! Virtually impossible. (Honest Rod, I think you'd much prefer the Berlioz).

Comment

Ha ha ! Rod ! Well, there are many good reasons to look forward to this Berlioz lecture and concert. First is he himself considered his Requiem in the very last year of his life to be his greatest work -

'If I were threatened with the destruction of the whole of my work save for one piece I should crave mercy for my Requiem Mass' (1869)

Secondly, he wrote around the time of its first performance in 1837 -

'My brain felt as though it would explode with the pressure of ideas while writing it'

Third, that the scheduled premiere of this piece was cancelled (first written to commemorate the 1830 Revolution) and it took until 1837 before it was first performed to rapturous applause in Paris. One commentator spoke of it as 'strange and beautiful, wild, convulsive and painful..' etc.

It's scored for large orchestra plus four brass ensembles (one for each corner of the concert hall) and a large percussion section.

I will read Volume 3 of the John Suchet biography of Beethoven ('Passion and Glory - The Last Master') which I've just found again should I get bored with such a Berlioz concert !!!! Virtually impossible. (Honest Rod, I think you'd much prefer the Berlioz).

I would say that the Requiem is way too extravagant for Rod's tastes. However, I am quite envious!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

I would say that the Requiem is way too extravagant for Rod's tastes.
          Extravagant? I could think of other less polite words when it comes to this composer...

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Hi Sorrano,

I found out today the lecture at the Royal Society here in London is on the evening of the 27th September on the subject of 'The London Career of Hector Berlioz' and the performance of his Requiem will be exactly one month later, i.e. on the evening of the 27th October with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Chorus and Soloists at the Royal Albert Hall. (Don't yet know the conductor).

Regards

Comment

Rod does not like large scale works by Berlioz. I was hoping he would change his view. He seems beyond repentance ! (Haha).

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                Extravagant? I could think of other less polite words when it comes to this composer...

I don't suppose you are thinking of words like "SUBLIME", "STUPENDOUS"? ha ha!

Comment

Hi Sorrano,

I found out today the lecture at the Royal Society here in London is on the evening of the 27th September on the subject of 'The London Career of Hector Berlioz' and the performance of his Requiem will be exactly one month later, i.e. on the evening of the 27th October with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Chorus and Soloists at the Royal Albert Hall. (Don't yet know the conductor).

Regards

I'd certainly be very interested in who will be conducting! Thanks for the info on that, it would wonderful to be able to be there!

Comment

OK. I understand the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra are offering 1 year membership of 'Friends of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra' to any guest who attends the Royal Society lecture on Berlioz if they book a £20 concert seat for the Requiem (Twenty British Pounds).

It is advertised on the Orchestra website as follows -

Berlioz Grande Messe des Morts

Friday 27 October 2006 7.30pm
                    Royal Albert Hall
                    Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Berlioz: Grande Messe des Morts

Berlioz’s monumental Requiem features a massive choir and orchestra, four brass bands placed on each corner of the stage and no less than eight pairs of timpani! With such forces it’s no wonder that Berlioz’s vision of the Last Judgement (in the famous Tuba mirum) has such terrifying power, although elsewhere in the score there is much delicate writing from this master of orchestration. It remained the composer’s favourite work and he once declared: “If I were threatened with the destruction of the whole of my works save one, I should crave mercy for the Messe des Morts.”

Conductor - Brian Wright
                    Tenor - Andrew Kennedy
                    Goldsmiths Choral Union, London Philharmonic Choir

Concert Promoted by Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Promoted in association with Goldsmiths Choral Union.
                    Ticket prices: £5, £10, £15, £20, £30, £38, £40.

(I understand it may be filmed/recorded by the BBC)

Comment

On the 8th of this month (Oct.) I have the most sad occasion to play this stupendous Requiem. It has then gone one year from the death of my dearest mother. HOW I miss her! The sublime Agnus Dei -part was played at her funeral.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan:
                        On the 8th of this month (Oct.) I have the most sad occasion to play this stupendous Requiem. It has then gone one year from the death of my dearest mother. HOW I miss her! The sublime Agnus Dei -part was played at her funeral.
                        Sorry to hear that Johann and I wish you well on the 8th - was this piece a particular favourite of hers?

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Dear Johan

That first anniversary is always the most difficult. I wish you well and hope you find comfort in the music and your precious memories.
                          Liz.

Comment

Peter and LizR! Thank you for your most kind words!

My mother certainly did like this Requiem, but I don't know if it was her favourite one. We spoke once not so long before her sudden departure to Our heavenly Father about different settings to music of this sequence. She liked the style of Berlioz.

Comment

She was a woman of great taste! Indeed, good luck to you and take comfort in the music--the Hosanna is among my favorites of all of Berlioz 's music.

Comment

Working...
                              X