Beethoven, Theatrical Works and Bonn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Agnes,

I believe all you say. The only area where we may possibly disagree (temporarily I hope) is where you say 'not all 'Colonials' are stupid' because I am sure they ARE all stupid. Who ever heard of such a ridiculous thing as a colonial of an unelected and unaccountable figurehead whose ancestors claimed 'divine right' to rule over other human beings at their expense and for their offspring (stupid or brilliant) to do the same forever and ever - all the while regarding us as their 'subjects'. It's undemocratic - it's preposterous - it's ridiculous - and it's plain wrong - for a start. Isn't it ?

Best wishes to your talented grandson in the great Republic of Australia. (At least you guys have a written constitution).

Regards

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 09-21-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:
      Dear Agnes,

I believe all you say. The only area where we may possibly disagree (temporarily I hope) is where you say 'not all 'Colonials' are stupid' because I am sure they ARE all stupid. Who ever heard of such a ridiculous thing as a colonial of an unelected and unaccountable figurehead whose ancestors claimed 'divine right' to rule over other human beings at their expense and for their offspring (stupid or brilliant) to do the same forever and ever - all the while regarding us as their 'subjects'. It's undemocratic - it's preposterous - it's ridiculous - and it's plain wrong - for a start. Isn't it ?

Best wishes to your talented grandson in the great Republic of Australia. (At least you guys have a written constitution).

Regards

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 09-21-2006).]
      -----------

Dear Robert,

No worries! We love having the Queen's face
      grace the cover of our Women's Weekly.

Other than that, we hear little from the British Royals. The Governor General is an Australian and no doubt enjoys his role opening fetes and giving dinner parties to visiting VIPs.

We will decide on whether or not having
      a Republic would make any difference to us politically. At the moment, the economy is booming, unemployment is at its lowest, the interest rates are bearable, sun is shining and soon summer will be here. And the cricket season!!!!

You know, we are not thinking of change at the moment. "Better the devil you know...etc., etc".

Regards,
      Agnes.
      ----------------

Comment

My, we've come a long way from 18th century Bonn - probably just as well!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Dear Agnes,

There may be a link between your apathy for granting sovereignty of Australia to the Australian people themselves and your reading of 'Woman's Weekly' (with it's Windsorian images of that German oops. English family) though it is of course good to keep a sense of humour.

If Australia is doing well thoughts will turn to the forthcoming Ashes cricket series. But if that series (as the last) results in an English victory, well, who knows what might happen ? Goodness, the Australians may even start to think true sovereignty is with the people themselves - and who could deny them such a heresy ?

Oh, Agnes, I saw today news they are about to refurbish the Sydney opera house so as to 'allow in more light'. Is this a portent of a republic, or just another moving of the furniture ?

Regards

Comment

Dear Agnes,

I thought he was an Arabic leader !

'Sheik Speare'

Brush Up Your Shakespeare (Cole Porter)!

Comment

Perhaps it's WoO.28. Beethoven Variations on 'La Ci darem la mano' ? It comes from the well known Donkey Ovani. (just joking folks !).
              Hey Robert, that's bordering on controversial!

Comment

Dear Agnes,

There may be a link between your apathy for granting sovereignty of Australia to the Australian people themselves and your reading of 'Woman's Weekly' (with it's Windsorian images of that German oops. English family) though it is of course good to keep a sense of humour.

If Australia is doing well thoughts will turn to the forthcoming Ashes cricket series. But if that series (as the last) results in an English victory, well, who knows what might happen ? Goodness, the Australians may even start to think true sovereignty is with the people themselves - and who could deny them such a heresy ?

Oh, Agnes, I saw today news they are about to refurbish the Sydney opera house so as to 'allow in more light'. Is this a portent of a republic, or just another moving of the furniture ?

Regards

--------

Dear Robert,

Seriously though, the British Monarchy has no influence on Australian politics nor its people. Hardly anyone came to gawk at Prince Charles during his last visit to our shores. The streets were empty except for some old folk who seem to be mesmerised by royalty and the Womens Weekly. You have them in Britain too or the Royal family would by now be in exile.

As for the Opera House, it is being refurbished according to the original Utzon plans. As you probably know the then Labor Government ousted Utzon and gave the completion of the Opera House to less imaginative hands. It is not merely moving furniture but a genuine effort to bring the Opera House to its intended glory.

The Vienna Philharmonic will be playing at the Opera House. Tickets are selling at $250 per person. However, the concert will be broadcast to the Opera House forecourt where 3000 people will be able to enjoy the music of Mozart and Beethoven. Such is the demand for the tickets and and the free open air concert, that the Opera House management cannot fulfill the requirements.

Regards,
                Agnes.
                ----------------

Comment

Great stuff Agnes,

Yes, I read today there are some plans to get more light in to the Sydney opera house and thought you would surely know of it. I'd love to see that place. Are the acoustics very good ?

I met someone who heard 'Don Giovanni' there and they thought it was great.

Mind you, I will never forget a recent visit to the Barbican here in London where I saw Beethoven's 'Fidelio' - that was simply awesome.

Comment

Dear PDG,

No, I am not being controversial any more - too much is at stake. Including Joan of Arc.

Comment

Great stuff Agnes,

Yes, I read today there are some plans to get more light in to the Sydney opera house.....Are the acoustics very good ?

Nah, the shape of the place lets that down...

Comment

Dear PDG,

No, I am not being controversial any more - too much is at stake. Including Joan of Arc.

My kind of humour - well done (not the steak)...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                          Nah, the shape of the place lets that down...

------------

Actually, as a regular subscriber to
                          both the Australian Opera and the Sydney
                          Symphony Orchestra series, I have no
                          complaints about the accoustics. However,
                          what is missing accoustically will be remedied with the forthcoming renovations.
                          Perhaps there are some "deaf" spots, but I have not yet experienced them.

Agnes.

Comment

Great stuff Agnes,

Yes, I read today there are some plans to get more light in to the Sydney opera house and thought you would surely know of it. I'd love to see that place. Are the acoustics very good ?

I met someone who heard 'Don Giovanni' there and they thought it was great.

Mind you, I will never forget a recent visit to the Barbican here in London where I saw Beethoven's 'Fidelio' - that was simply awesome.

---------------

Dear Robert.

I can appreciate that. The Barbican was our
                            favourite place when we lived in London.

As for improving the light at the Sydney
                            Opera House, I cannot imagine what this is all about. Yes, I think you would love the Opera House and where it is situated.
                            Also the coffee is excellent at the Mozart Cafe.

Regards,
                            Agnes.

Comment

Hofrat is so modest. He discusses the Macbeth Overture completion by Willem Holsbergen at length without observing that he himself is the dedicatee of that work. So I will observe it for him.

Comment

Originally posted by gardibolt:
                                Hofrat is so modest. He discusses the Macbeth Overture completion by Willem Holsbergen at length without observing that he himself is the dedicatee of that work. So I will observe it for him.
                                Dear Gardibolt;

You are much too kind. Thank you very much.

Hofrat

"Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
                                X