LVB 5 vs WAM 41

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LVB 5 vs WAM 41

There seems to be a very haunting similarity between the opening bars of the 4th mvt of the LVB 5 and the very opening bars of LVB's 3rd Sonata for Piano and Cello. That ghostly resemblance is most likely due the proximity of the times of their composition.

Regarding Mozart, the String Qrtt K.387 has a last movement with bears some similarity to the opening theme of the last movement of the Jupiter symphony #41.

This observation struck me recently and I was wondering if anyone else noticed it or perhaps could comment (politely please) on it. Apparently, the opening of the 4th mvt of the WAM 41 seems to bear an understated resemblance to the opening of the 4th mvt of the LVB 5. Is that at all possible? Has anyone else noticed this or written anything about this possibility? Thank you...

------------------
    There are many princes but only ONE Beethoven!
    There are many princes but only ONE Beethoven!

Originally posted by stude_ham:
    There seems to be a very haunting similarity between the opening bars of the 4th mvt of the LVB 5 and the very opening bars of LVB's 3rd Sonata for Piano and Cello. That ghostly resemblance is most likely due the proximity of the times of their composition.

Regarding Mozart, the String Qrtt K.387 has a last movement with bears some similarity to the opening theme of the last movement of the Jupiter symphony #41.

This observation struck me recently and I was wondering if anyone else noticed it or perhaps could comment (politely please) on it. Apparently, the opening of the 4th mvt of the WAM 41 seems to bear an understated resemblance to the opening of the 4th mvt of the LVB 5. Is that at all possible? Has anyone else noticed this or written anything about this possibility? Thank you...

I don't really see the resembalnces there Stude_ham - they are very different in mood these pieces as well. It is an interesting subject though and we have ponted out a number of very similar themes in the works of Clementi and Beethoven. I have the Harold Barlow dictionary of musical themes and there are 14 pieces listed that open with the same 4 notes (different rhythms and keys) that open the Jupiter symphony finale - Bach's E major fugue book II and Haydn's symphony no.13 being obvious examples. Regarding the Beethoven 5th symphony finale I can find resemblances (the first 7 notes in different rhythm and pitch) to Mozart's K.605, no.1 and in the 3rd theme of the Eroica slow movement (there it is actually in the same C major key) and in the opening theme of Beethoven's 1st symphony. The Siciliane to Bach's G minor solo violin sonata also uses the same notes (different pitch and rhythm).

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
    X