Dinu Lipatti (help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinu Lipatti (help!)

Hello! It's probably been close to a year since I posted on here, so I don't know if anyone remembers me or not.

My name is Tegan and I am a music student at Allegheny College. I have a couple of questions. When you are doing research, who do you go to to find new or extremely rare sources? If you're researching a musician, is it ever helpful to write to his producers or recording studio for information on him? I really don't know what is acceptable/ useful.

Secondly, I am researching Dinu Lipatti. I have looked at pretty much every available online resource, and I really can't find any more information on him in the United States. Does anyone have any information on him, or know where I could find any?

Thank you so much, everyone! My email address is tegannoelle@yahoo.com

Originally posted by Tegan:
    Hello! It's probably been close to a year since I posted on here, so I don't know if anyone remembers me or not.

My name is Tegan and I am a music student at Allegheny College. I have a couple of questions. When you are doing research, who do you go to to find new or extremely rare sources? If you're researching a musician, is it ever helpful to write to his producers or recording studio for information on him? I really don't know what is acceptable/ useful.

Secondly, I am researching Dinu Lipatti. I have looked at pretty much every available online resource, and I really can't find any more information on him in the United States. Does anyone have any information on him, or know where I could find any?

Have you contacted the Dinu Lipatti memorial house or the International Lipatti-Haskil Foundation?

------------------
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Tegan I remember you, I just can't believe it's been a year since you were last here! Incredible how the time has gone. I can't help you I'm afraid but have you heard the recordings of his last recital? Quite wonderful playing, especially as he was so unwell - a great man and a great talent.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio:

Have you contacted the Dinu Lipatti memorial house or the International Lipatti-Haskil Foundation?

I contacted the Lipatti-Haskil Foundation but they never wrote back. I haven't heard of the Lipatti Memorial House. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Tegan I remember you, I just can't believe it's been a year since you were last here! Incredible how the time has gone. I can't help you I'm afraid but have you heard the recordings of his last recital? Quite wonderful playing, especially as he was so unwell - a great man and a great talent.

Time flies, doesn't it? I can't beleive I'm over half way done with college already! I'm looking forward to being done though, at least with my undergraduate, because I want to start studying musicology at Chicago University.
          Yes, I have heard that recording. I own all of the recordings that have been released, and they are all spectacular. My favorite is probably the Chopin 3rd Piano Sonata and the Enescu piano sonata. What about yours?

Comment

Time flies, doesn't it? I can't beleive I'm over half way done with college already! I'm looking forward to being done though, at least with my undergraduate, because I want to start studying musicology at Chicago University.
            Yes, I have heard that recording. I own all of the recordings that have been released, and they are all spectacular. My favorite is probably the Chopin 3rd Piano Sonata and the Enescu piano sonata. What about yours?
            I only have the last recital cd, but from what you say I'm considering the Legacy 5cd set -is this what you have? Nor am I familiar with the Enescu sonata - this is quite a rarity these days and I wonder why? Wasn't he Menuhin's teacher? Also in this legacy set is Lipatti playing Enescu's violin sonata with the composer. Apparently there was also a tape of Lipatti playing the Waldstein sonata, but some idiot erased it!

Good luck with your musicology studies - you'll have to share your expertise with us!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 10-03-2006).]
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Enescu was the godfather of Lipatti and Menuhin. He gave violin lessons to both of them.
              I don't actually have the five CD set, but I probaby have all the recordings that are on it. I have all of the originally released recordings and then the CDs that have been released from private tapes of the Liszt, Chopin, Bach, and Bartok piano concerti.
              He made several recordings of Beethoven's music, and was planning on recording the Emperor Piano Concerto, but he died before he was able to. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry. Life is so unfair!

Comment

Enescu was the godfather of Lipatti and Menuhin. He gave violin lessons to both of them.
                I don't actually have the five CD set, but I probaby have all the recordings that are on it. I have all of the originally released recordings and then the CDs that have been released from private tapes of the Liszt, Chopin, Bach, and Bartok piano concerti.
                He made several recordings of Beethoven's music, and was planning on recording the Emperor Piano Concerto, but he died before he was able to. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry. Life is so unfair!
                Did he record all 6 Bach Partitas Tegan and what of the 48?

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                X