No announcement yet.

Beethoven Piano Concertos....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL! Got to hand it to Bilson, though, he does the Mozart concertos better than anyone...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
      LOL! Got to hand it to Bilson, though, he does the Mozart concertos better than anyone...
      It helps that he uses the right instruments, though I suspect there may be more room for the insertion of notes in Mozart than in Beethoven, or does he stick to the score with M? Of course in much Baroque chamber music it is almost expected that the score is to be embellished.

By the way Chris, I notice I have been promoted to Moderator, whist you and Peter are now humble Administrators. Whats going on?

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-29-2006).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Peter perhaps you have not been paying attention to many of the things that have been written here, but that is your prerogative. You yourself have no less of a mean streak Peter, if this was my forum Robert would still be here. But that is old news. Then what about your reaction to the 'Count's' critisism of your addresses page..?

I have said from day one I am not a classical music fan in the general sence. I am here for one reason and one reason only. I am just surprised people can come here and and have the audacity to say Beethoven only excelled at the symphony or whatever, something more crazy than any of Robert's notions. But hey what do I know. But as long as people don't mind being put in their place, I would accommodate any opinion however eronious.

And has it not occurred to you that sometimes people come here to change their concepts of Beethoven? That is what Haydnfan started with--asking about the concerti--of course he is not going to put Beethoven at the top of the concerti world if he hasnĀ“t even heard the concerti yet!

Comment

It helps that he uses the right instruments, though I suspect there may be more room for the insertion of notes in Mozart than in Beethoven, or does he stick to the score with M? Of course in much Baroque chamber music it is almost expected that the score is to be embellished.
          I'll have to go back and listen again, as I don't really remember how much he deviates from the scores. Nothing ever sounds out of place or pointlessly indulgent, though. I do recall thinking that he could have used some cadenzas that already existed that were better than the ones he came up with himself, such as Beethoven's for No. 20. But I guess that was part of the point of those recordings.

By the way Chris, I notice I have been promoted to Moderator, whist you and Peter are now humble Administrators. Whats going on?
          Check the forum work area.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 09-29-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
            And has it not occurred to you that sometimes people come here to change their concepts of Beethoven? That is what Haydnfan started with--asking about the concerti--of course he is not going to put Beethoven at the top of the concerti world if he hasnĀ“t even heard the concerti yet!
            I appreciate you point, however I did not detect that H was in the mood for conversion. Nevertheless as you say the thing is you have to hear the music first before you can say anything! It is rather pointless discussing the quality of the music otherwise. As I said above I don't mind people saying what they like about Beethoven if, A they have actually heard the music and B they don't mind being contradicted, sometimes severely so depending on the level of the crime. I would expect nothing less if I went to the Wagner forum and delivered an onslaught there. I would be an ant raiding a termite nest.

------------------

Comment

Check the forum work area.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 09-29-2006).]
              haha I do not have access permission for the work area!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                haha I do not have access permission for the work area!

Try again.

Comment

Actually, I comments I made were after listening to the con concerti a few times. So no, I don't place Beethoven at the top of my list for concerti at the moment but maybe after more listening and getting to know the pieces better, this might change.

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan:
                    Actually, I comments I made were after listening to the con concerti a few times. So no, I don't place Beethoven at the top of my list for concerti at the moment but maybe after more listening and getting to know the pieces better, this might change.
                    My usual follow-up to a remark like this would be 'what performances have you heard'?

------------------

Comment

Well, like I said, I have only heard the one performance by Serkin (the CD collection I have)...I have listened to them a few times though since I first posted...actually I am enjoying the slow movement from Concerto No. 1 and the final movement is familiar to me,I believe I have heard it on the radio quite a few times.

Comment

Try again.

Oh so actually I have been demoted! I presume I lose my gold medalion?

May I direct you to the work room Chris...

------------------

Comment

Sorry, I have this screwed up...the track listings on this CD collection is weird...anyway, it is the slow movement from Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor that I enjoy. And the final movement, the Rondo, is the one I have heard on the radio.

Concerto No. 1 is split between two CD's for some reason...but I enjoy the Allegro con brio...I assume this is a pretty popular one, I have heard it before. Is this the first or last movement...it doesn't tell me! I assume it is the first...I am going to listen to the rest of No. 1 I suppose...

Comment

Sorry, I have this screwed up...the track listings on this CD collection is weird...anyway, it is the slow movement from Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor that I enjoy. And the final movement, the Rondo, is the one I have heard on the radio.

Concerto No. 1 is split between two CD's for some reason...but I enjoy the Allegro con brio...I assume this is a pretty popular one, I have heard it before. Is this the first or last movement...it doesn't tell me! I assume it is the first...I am going to listen to the rest of No. 1 I suppose...
                            The Serkin is not the best recording; the Brendel is not bad--it's one I have (complete) as well as some others. Sometimes more than one listening is best. When I first heard the Emperor Concerto, the No. 5, I was disappointed. Today it is my favorite piece of music.

Comment

Yes, Sorrano, I often find that it takes me a while to take a liking to certain music...sometimes, music I have enjoyed in the past does not interest me anymore which is very unfortunate I think.

When I really started listening to "classical" (small "c") music a couple of years ago, I went immediately towards Baroque music, especially Handel (I know you would appreciate that, Rod)...then I got into Haydn (whom I obviously, still enjoy) and Mozart. I never liked the Romantic stuff until much later but now it is some of my favourite music.

I regret to say, it makes it more difficult for me to listen to Mozart sometimes because I find his music is very structured by comparison and too formulaic (though it is written to his very own formula, not an industry standard). Most of his music I still love (how can you not?) and I will always have a place for it.

Beethoven I have always enjoyed throughout (esp. the symphonies as I have stated before). But I don't think there was ever a time when he was my 100% absolute favourite.

I have always come back to Schubert...I never tire of his music for some reason. Maybe it is because it has flavours of Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, as well as Schubert's own style...the perfect blend!

Comment

Yes, Sorrano, I often find that it takes me a while to take a liking to certain music...sometimes, music I have enjoyed in the past does not interest me anymore which is very unfortunate I think.

This is true for me as well - as a young student, late Beethoven quartets were off limits, I simply did not get it. Then for an exam I had to study Bartok's 5th quartet (which I've never recovered from or listened to since) and suddenly Beethoven's quartets opened up for me. Perhaps I might be brave enough one day to give Bartok's quartets another go - possibly a little frightened what they might do to me this time!

------------------
                                'Man know thyself'
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X