No announcement yet.

Carl Maria von Weber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you sure the Weber boys studied with Joseph Haydn? Because I know that Carl Maria studied with Michael Haydn but I have never read anywhere that Joseph taught them...

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan:
      Are you sure the Weber boys studied with Joseph Haydn? Because I know that Carl Maria studied with Michael Haydn but I have never read anywhere that Joseph taught them...
      ----------------

Carl Maria von Weber is a child of
      his father's second marriage. Franz
      Anton Weber was a widower when he brought
      his two sons from his first marriage
      to Vienna to study with Joseph Haydn.

They lived with his brother Fridolin's
      widow, Madam Cacelia Weber and it is during
      this period that Franz Anton met Genoveva Weber who was to become Car Maria von Weber's mother.

Carl Maria von Weber studied with Michael Haydn in Salzburg.

Documents pertaining to Franz Anton
      Weber's stay in Vienna and his marriage
      certificate pertaining to his marriage to Genoveva Brenner and the address of his abode, namely the address of the widow Weber, can be found in Vienna city archives.
      The purpose of Franz Anton's stay in Vienna was the education of his two sons from his first marriage.

Regards,
      Agnes.

Comment

Ah, I see...I didn't realize Carl Maria was from the second marriage; I thought you meant he was one of thee sons who studied with Joseph H. I get it now, thanks!

Comment

Dear HaydnFan. Beethoven, any thoughts? What do you think of his music? Any recommendations?

How does he stack up against his contemporaries?

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            Dear HaydnFan. Beethoven, any thoughts? What do you think of his music? Any recommendations?

How does he stack up against his contemporaries?

Oh dear.....<someone has definitely upset the new Mod>...

Well, I would say that Beethoven "stacks up" quite well against his contemporaries. Did he have any (in the truest sense of the word)? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
              Oh dear.....<someone has definitely upset the new Mod>...

Well, I would say that Beethoven "stacks up" quite well against his contemporaries. Did he have any (in the truest sense of the word)? I don't think so.

---------------

It must have been yours truly. I have noticed that this moderator does not like me and will dig into me whenever he can. However, seeing that I did not start this thread and have only contributed to it,
              I hope he is not too angry.

It appears that only Beethoven can now be discussed on this forum which is most welcome, for I come here to learn more about Beethoven. However, let it not become another MozartForum where Mozart may only be discussed as a single entity without the benefit of his peers and times. I would be more interested in Mozart's contemporaries than in the colour of his eyes which bears little importance to the overall picture of Mozart and the influences that affected his works.
              However, the colour of Mozart's eyes has occupied many pages on MozartForum.

Both Mozart and Beethoven were once living human beings surrounded by other people and circumstances. This played a definite part in their lives and influenced their compositions. Discussions concerning Beethoven's contemporaries does not detract from Beethoven the human being or Beethoven the composer. It in fact it enriches our knowledge of Beethoven.

Yours truly,
              Agnes Selby.

Comment

Rod, I hope you are making a joke and not being critical...

...sorry if this thread is not about Beethoven but there is no Weber forum on which to post my questions.

As Agnes says: In the past, I have found this site to be truly excellent for finding out information and opinions on the lesser known composers...MozartForum has been extremely disappointing in that regard, as Agnes rightly states.

Rod, if you are going to see to it that topics stay only on Beethoven or substantially Beethoven, I shall not post here anymore. I know this will not matter at all to you, but I would just like to know your position so I can decide whether I will venture to this site anymore...

Comment

...sorry if this thread is not about Beethoven but there is no Weber forum on which to post my questions.

As Agnes says: In the past, I have found this site to be truly excellent for finding out information and opinions on the lesser known composers...MozartForum has been extremely disappointing in that regard, as Agnes rightly states.

Rod, if you are going to see to it that topics stay only on Beethoven or substantially Beethoven, I shall not post here anymore. I know this will not matter at all to you, but I would just like to know your position so I can decide whether I will venture to this site anymore...
                  As Peter has so many times stated, this is a forum to talk about Beethoven in particular *AND* Classical Music in general.
                  I guess, unless Rod lays the iron fist, this kind of topic is welcome. I have always come here hoping to find anything of interesting in all of Classical Music, such as the Beethoven Contemporaries topic from long ago and others.
                  If Rod doesn't like von Weber, maybe he could indulge us humble folksmen to discuss about him?

------------------
                  "Wer ein holdes weib errugen..."

[This message has been edited by Rutradelusasa (edited 09-24-2006).]
                  "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Notice at the top of the screen:

" * Post under one name only.
                    * Only topics relating to Beethoven in particular and Classical music in general are allowed in the main forum. Anything else belongs in the comments and suggestions forum.
                    * Offensive language, topics, or remarks about others will be deleted. "

Carl Maria von Weber relates to Beethoven in respect to his being a contemporary and has a lot to do with Classical music in general.

Unless the moderator finds this topic offensive I don't see why it shouldn't be discusses.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                      Notice at the top of the screen:

" * Post under one name only.
                      * Only topics relating to Beethoven in particular and Classical music in general are allowed in the main forum. Anything else belongs in the comments and suggestions forum.
                      * Offensive language, topics, or remarks about others will be deleted. "

Carl Maria von Weber relates to Beethoven in respect to his being a contemporary and has a lot to do with Classical music in general.

Unless the moderator finds this topic offensive I don't see why it shouldn't be discusses.
                      The topic is fine!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

All matters relating to classical music are welcome here as well as the political, artistic and historical context of Beethoven's times. In no way is this forum designed to be narrow and restrictive.

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                          All matters relating to classical music are welcome here as well as the political, artistic and historical context of Beethoven's times. In no way is this forum designed to be narrow and restrictive.

And my question was a serious one. As far as I am aware it is also permitted to discuss Beethoven here. I'm not really sure what the likes of Selby and Haydnfan think of the Master, because they come here largely, or solely in some cases, to discuss composers other than Beethoven. I see no difference between this developing discussion on Weber to some of the posts by Newman that were closed. There have been a number of occasions at this site when the majory of current posts were not relating to Beethoven in any way, this was one of the reasons I started presenting mp3s at this site to try and bring it back on focus, something which was largely a failure.

At least Robert posted the occasional Beethoven topic here. So all things considered, why was Robert singled out? Purely because his ideas offend the sensibilities of the Mozart/Haydn fans here.

------------------
                          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-24-2006).]
                          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I see no difference between this developing discussion on Weber to some of the posts by Newman that were closed.
                            At least Robert posted the occasional Beethoven topic here. So all things considered, why was Robert singled out? Purely because his ideas offend the sensibilities of the Mozart/Haydn fans here.

I'm sorry... HOW does "recommend music from Weber, please" is the same as "you are all wrong, Taboga is right, long live Luccesi"? Aren't you taking this too far?

------------------
                            "Wer ein holdes weib errugen..."
                            "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

So all things considered, why was Robert singled out? Purely because his ideas offend the sensibilities of the Mozart/Haydn fans here.

Come off it Rod you hardly ever complained throughout a whole year of almost daily postings by Robert that rarely had anything to do with Beethoven, but now the odd comment on Weber has you protesting that we're not dealing specifically with Beethoven. You yourself have also frequently posted on Handel with direct links to your forum and mp3s. I have no objection to that and I welcome the diversity of discussion but don't criticse others just because certain composers mean nothing to you.

To attempt to restrict this forum entirely to Beethoven and to frown upon any thread that doesn't directly deal with him is not what this forum is about. The rules state quite clearly that topics relating to classical music in general are allowed. As for the reason for Robert's being banned I made it quite clear that it was not the substance of his remarks in themselves, but his persistance - there is no relation whatsoever to the postings of Haydnfan and Agnes Selby who are polite, informed and welcome members of this forum, who are not obsessed with just one topic ad infinitum.
                              ------------------
                              'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 09-24-2006).]
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

[/B]
                                Are you so short on memory, Rod? Don't you recall that Beethoven was an essential part of the "myth" that Robert was proposing and YOU were the first to squawk at the inference?

Comment

Working...
                                X