Josef Krips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Josef Krips

I have bought today 6 vinyl records with all symphonies conducted by Josef Krips (London Symphony Orchestra 1960). I used to think that traditional inerpretations have little common with Beethoven style, (but allmost all HIP performations are not any more better - except that of Hanover Band), so I didn't expect anything special. But album was very cheap (less than 3 euro) so I bought it on Polish internet auction.
    Now I am after listening of all symphonies and I must say it is really very very good intepretation.
    Do you ever heard any symphonies of Beethoven conducted by Krips? What do you think about them?

Marek

[This message has been edited by Marek Krukowski (edited 09-18-2006).]

I have never heard him conduct any Beethoven. His Don Giovanni is my favorite, though.

Comment

I bought his Complete Beethoven Symphonies on 5 cds for £1.99. NEW!! It's on Fat Boy Records...

Comment

Dear Marek,

Krips is one of my all-time favourite conductors. Just great ! I used to look for anything by him and love his interpretations of Mozart symphonies in particular. I think he was one of the most influential conductors in this respect. His poetic sense guided all his did and his insistence of beautifully balanced orchestration is such a feature of everything he recorded. I've personally never heard any Krips Beethoven. That must surely be special and I would love to hear it.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Marek Krukowski:
          I have bought today 6 vinyl records with all symphonies conducted by Josef Krips (London Symphony Orchestra 1960). I used to think that traditional inerpretations have little common with Beethoven style, (but allmost all HIP performations are not any more better - except that of Hanover Band), so I didn't expect anything special. But album was very cheap (less than 3 euro) so I bought it on Polish internet auction.
          Now I am after listening of all symphonies and I must say it is really very very good intepretation.
          Do you ever heard any symphonies of Beethoven conducted by Krips? What do you think about them?

Marek

Do you know if this is the same edition that Reader's Digest released many years ago? I could have the wrong conductor but I am almost sure it was Krips. I had the set briefly but surrendered all my vinyls to cd a while ago.

Comment

Hi Marek,

Found this online at Wilkipedia etc -

In 1960, Krips recorded Beethoven's 9 symphonies for Everest Records. For this set of recordings, Krips conducted the London Symphony Orchestra, and - for Beethoven's 9th symphony - the soloists included Donald Bell, baritone, Jennifer Vyvyan, soprano, Rudolf Petrak, tenor, and Shirley Carter (later known as Shirley Verrett), mezzo soprano. The BBC Chorus, under the chorusmaster Leslie Woodgate also performed in this recording of the 9th symphony. This series of recordings was popular with music critics and the public, and the recordings have been reissued several times in authorized and in bootleg editions.

The discography of Beethoven symphonies was –

1 – London Symphony Orchestra 1960
            2- London Symphony Orchestra 1960
            3 – London Symphony Orchestra 1960
            4 – Concertgebouw 1953 and London Symphony Orchestra 1960
            5 – London Symphony Orchestra 1960
            6 – New York Philharmonic 1964 and London Symphony Orchestra 1960
            7 – Concertgebouw 1952 (Live) and London Symphony Orchestra 1960
            8 – London Symphony Orchestra 1960
            9 – London Symphony Orchestra 1960

Regards

Comment