violin sonatas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

violin sonatas

I have been trying to find any violin sonatas that were also transcribed to cello. I only know of a couple, like the violin sonata Op. 78 from Brahms, but it is not one of my favorites. Any recomendations? One that would possibly be fairly simple to learn? I also am addicted to any cello accompanied by piano works if you know of any.

Originally posted by lauren:
    I have been trying to find any violin sonatas that were also transcribed to cello. I only know of a couple, like the violin sonata Op. 78 from Brahms, but it is not one of my favorites. Any recomendations? One that would possibly be fairly simple to learn? I also am addicted to any cello accompanied by piano works if you know of any.

Dear Lauren;

Pablo Casals recorded a cello rendition of Beethoven's sonata for piano and horn opus 17. The biggest problem with this LP recording was the fact that he recorded it in the Beethoven House which at the time had terrible accoustics.

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:
      Dear Lauren;

Pablo Casals recorded a cello rendition of Beethoven's sonata for piano and horn opus 17. The biggest problem with this LP recording was the fact that he recorded it in the Beethoven House which at the time had terrible accoustics.

Hofrat
      There are quite a few recordings of the cello arrangement (Beethoven's own) these days, I have two myself. Fortunately neither are Casal's (and I'm not talking about the accoustics!)

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by lauren:

The best example I can think of is Schubert's wonderful Arpeggione Sonata in A minor, D.821. Written for a now obsolete instrument, it holds up very well for either the viola or the 'cello.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
          The best example I can think of is Schubert's wonderful Arpeggione Sonata in A minor, D.821. Written for a now obsolete instrument, it holds up very well for either the viola or the 'cello.
          But it sounds much much better with arpeggione.

marek

Comment

Originally posted by Marek Krukowski:
            But it sounds much much better with arpeggione.

marek
            Marek, I've never heard a recording with an arpeggione. Can you recommend a recording?

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
              Marek, I've never heard a recording with an arpeggione. Can you recommend a recording?
              I know only one - Klaus Storck on arpeggione and Alfons Kontarsky on Graf fortepiano (Archiv). I don't know if it is available on CD.

There is another recording: http://www.sim.spk-berlin.de/deutsch...?kategorie=cds
              but I never heard it.

Marek

[This message has been edited by Marek Krukowski (edited 09-19-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Marek Krukowski (edited 09-19-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by Marek Krukowski:
                I know only one - Klaus Storck on arpeggione and Alfons Kontarsky on Graf fortepiano (Archiv). I don't know if it is available on CD.

There is another recording: http://www.sim.spk-berlin.de/deutsch...?kategorie=cds
                but I never heard it.
                I know them, as well as the recording by Alfred Lessing and Jozef de Beenhouwer. None of the three is really satisfying, musically or technically, but the instrument cannot be blamed for that. It was quite a shock when I heard the lp with Storck and Kontarsky for the first time, many years ago. The instrument's sound has an inward lyricism, which fits perfectly to the Biedermeier style that Schubert was surrounded by.
                There are good recordings available where the arpeggione is replaced by a violin, a viola, or a cello (and a bizar but fascinating orchestration of the piece with G. Cassado playing the cello), but the arpeggione really stole my heart.
                I uploaded the 1st mvt of the Storck recording to this site:
                http://www.mysharefile.com/v/6960880...one_1.mp3.html

Comment

Working...
                X