poems written by Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

poems written by Beethoven

I'm looking for good poems that speak about romance and love written by Beethoven. I would take a verse or 2 and include it on my wedding invitation/program. Any suggestions or leads?

So far as I know, Beethoven never wrote poetry. His letters and correspondence might include traces of poetry, if you stretch the definition enough. I really don't think there's much by B that you could put on a wedding invite that would be appropriate...

Comment

A slightly different twist - has anyone in this group or otherwise written any poetry regarding Beethoven and/or his music?

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
        So far as I know, Beethoven never wrote poetry. His letters and correspondence might include traces of poetry, if you stretch the definition enough. I really don't think there's much by B that you could put on a wedding invite that would be appropriate...
        I think it is possible he wrote the words for the Birthday Cantata for Prince Lobkowitz (WoO 106). He definitely wrote the words for the humerous pieces WoO 101 and probably for WoO 100 as well - Don't expect great poetry! WoO begins 'Schuppanzigh is a lump'!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Barry Cooper has put forward the interesting theory that B wrote some of the words for his "Christ on the Mount of Olives" oratorio.
          This whole topic reminds me of a Beatles interview where Ringo was asked what he thought of Beethoven and he replied, deadpan: "I've read all of his poems."

Michael

Comment

Romance and love by Beethoven? Good god there's so many! Music that is. While it's true that Beethoven himself did not pen many poems he did set to music a great deal of beautiful passages written by others. Try some these on for size (I present them in the English translation):

In dance, charm
            is allied with glances,
            gentle grace
            with gestures,
            becoming an image
            of embellished life.

-- from The Consecration of the House, Chorus with Soprano Solo (a beautiful piece!)

or

In my garden blooms a flower
            that I will tend well and pick;
            it shall be closest to my heart;
            as long as I call it my flower,
            it keeps me cheerful and blessed.

An angel sowed it into life,
            it did not spring from the earth;
            in charming majesty it rises
            fragrantly from a sweet-scented flowerbed,
            watered by the dew of heaven.

-- from Loenore Prohaska

or

Welcome us!
            The altars are adorned,
            hail to us happy souls,
            thrice hail!
            Pure, in lovely sweet unison
            the Muses tarry with us.
            Nobler joy, higher pleasure
            will henceforth swell our delighted breasts.

-- again from The Consecration of the House, The March and Chorus (another great piece to play at a wedding)

or

Joy, beauteous, godly spark,
            Daughter of Elysium,
            Drunk with fire, O Heavenly One,
            We come unto your sacred shrine.

-- from the 9th Symphony, words by Eric Schiller.

There's so many lines and music that it'd be impossible to list them all. Feel free to email me at halcyon27@home.com if you'd like more suggestions.

Heck, it almost makes me want to get married just to have an excuse to play some of this stuff in public!

Still haven't decided what I'd want for my funeral though. Probably Missa Solemnis or perhaps the Adagio from the 9th?

[This message has been edited by euphony131 (edited 05-24-2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by euphony131:

Still haven't decided what I'd want for my funeral though. Probably Missa Solemnis or perhaps the Adagio from the 9th?

I hope you're a Catholic if you want the Missa! But I don't think the adagio is quite appropriate. Did you not down-load the beautifully solemn Equali I graciously provided this forum with in March? That's proper funeral music! Or the heartfelt Elegaic song I also provided, a song in remembrance of someone who died.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                I hope you're a Catholic if you want the Missa! But I don't think the adagio is quite appropriate.
                Oh Rod, you never fail to amuse, eh? I suppose then only god-fearing Catholics can enjoy a well-composed Mass or Requiem? I think not. I was baptized Catholic, but don't follow the religion. For that matter, even if I was a Hindu/Muslim/Jew or a complete atheist who loved to burn bibles I would still love Beethoven. It's not a matter of official religious affiliation. In any case, there's no logic in what you've said -- it's like saying one has to be of English ancestry to appreciate Shakespeare or for that matter only a true-blooded German should listen to Beethoven. HUH???

Anyway, we're getting off the subject. Have you any beautiful lines for the person who posted this thread?

[This message has been edited by euphony131 (edited 05-24-2001).]

Comment

Oh Rod, you never fail to amuse, eh? I suppose then only god-fearing Catholics can enjoy a well-composed Mass or Requiem? I think not. I was baptized Catholic, but don't follow the religion. For that matter, even if I was a Hindu/Muslim/Jew or a complete atheist who loved to burn bibles I would still love Beethoven. It's not a matter of official religious affiliation.
                  It most certainly is a matter of religion of you intend the music to be played in a church or its grounds. No self respecting protestant church would allow it.

In any case, there's no logic in what you've said -- it's like saying one has to be of English ancestry to appreciate Shakespeare or for that matter only a true-blooded German should listen to Beethoven. HUH???
                  My logic for the Missa is based on the above point. Regarding the adagio, it's just that there is nothing mournfull about it.

Anyway, we're getting off the subject. Have you any beautiful lines for the person who posted this thread?
                  I suggest she get a volume of B's letters, a few of which concern matters of the heart. B wasn't a poet.

------------------
                  "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                  http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Heck, it almost makes me want to get married just to have an excuse to play some of this stuff in public!
                    Euphony, if you're having simultaneous thoughts about getting married AND your funeral, it might just be time to re-evaluate your feelings for your girlfriend!

------------------
                    PDG (Peter)

[This message has been edited by PDG (edited 05-24-2001).]

Comment

Well, has so much marriage ended with a separation (not mine !!!) it is maybe wise to perform a luckily poetic song... and a requiem together.
                      I am laughing, naturally. I is clear that B. loved Klopstock and Goeth, and, and, and... look in his vocal music !

------------------
                      Claudie
                      Claudie

Comment

Nobler joy, higher pleasure
                        will henceforth swell our delighted breasts.
                        And as we all know, there's nothing nicer than having delighted breasts.

------------------
                        PDG (Peter)

Comment

Working...
                        X