Lesser Known Schubert Connections with Beethoven and his Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesser Known Schubert Connections with Beethoven and his Music

1. D.189 Schubert's song 'An die Freude' -(Schiller)- composed by him in May 1815 and first published after Schubert's death by Czerny in Vienna in February 1829. (Beethoven had of course been occupied with this same poem even earlier).

2. Schubert's '5 German Dances for Piano' Op.9, X11, nos 1-4 - composed not later than 1816.

(a) One of these 5 dances became famous in Vienna during Schubert's lifetime though it was frequently mistakenly attributed to Beethoven.

(b) A so-called 'Sehnsuchts Walzer' published by Schott at Mainz in August 1826 and wrongly attributed to Beethoven on the strength of the above error was in fact a composite of one of the dances from the same above Schubert work and H. Himmel's 'Favorite-Walzer'

D.718 'Variation in C Minor on Diabelli Waltz'. Composed by Schubert in March 1821 and first published by Diabelli June 1824 as no.38 of 50 Variations. Used even earlier by Beethoven in his own Op.120

D.954 'Glaube, Hoffnung und Liebe' - Chorus written by Schubert in August 1828 shortly before the composer's death. (Written for dedication of a recast bell at the restored Minorite church in the Alsergrund suburb of Vienna - where Beethoven's remains had been blessed during his funeral the year before). The text of this Schubert chorus was published the following month and he also produced a song version in the same month.

[This message has been edited by robert newman (edited 09-15-2006).]

The Schubert D.718 was of course one of many variations written by various composers (including Beethoven) on the Diabelli theme. In fact some 50 composers presented a variation for Diabelli, including Liszt, Archduke Rudolph and Franz Xaver Mozart.

In 1819 Diabelli (as part of a marketing ploy) sent his theme to all pianists and composers of importance in Vienna and Austria he could think of requesting a variation on it. Beethoven's contribution of 33 variations were published in 1823, but re-issued the following year as part 1 when Diabelli had finally received 50 variations from other composers (many certainly took their time to respond!).

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 09-15-2006).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      The Schubert D.718 was of course one of many variations written by various composers (including Beethoven) on the Diabelli theme. In fact some 50 composers presented a variation for Diabelli, including Liszt, Archduke Rudolph and Franz Xaver Mozart.
      Schubert's one is so typically Schubert; I wish he had produced 33 of them as well:

http://www.frank.dds.nl/Etc/Schubelli.mp3

[This message has been edited by Frankli (edited 09-16-2006).]

Comment

It keeps crashing my Internet whenever I try to play it.

Comment

How come I cannot find a CD of all the Diabelli variations? The only thing I can find is Beethoven...where are the others?

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan:
            It keeps crashing my Internet whenever I try to play it.

Have you tried rightclicking the link and choose to save the file?
            Otherwise: http://www.mysharefile.com/v/9793615/Schubelli.mp3.html

There is a double cd played by Buchbinder, with Beethoven's variations + 44 variations from 44 other composers. Nice to hear. You'll find composers like Hummel, Kalkbrenner, F.X. Mozart (yep, his son), Schubert, and the yong Liszt. It's a 1973 recording.

Comment

Hi, I have found this only on the German Amazon site which does not really help me very much. Does it say in this album, who each variation is written by because it does not list that on the Amazon site.

Comment

Hi, I have found this only on the German Amazon site which does not really help me very much. Does it say in this album, who each variation is written by because it does not list that on the Amazon site.
                It is available on amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Dia...F8&s=classical

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hi Peter, I am in Canada so it does not make sense to order from UK either. Ah well.

Comment

Yes, it tells who wrote which variation, and there is a very short biography of each composer.

Comment

Working...
                    X