Beethoven and Mozart performed on PBS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven and Mozart performed on PBS!

This Wednesday on PBS (9-11pm Mountain Time) 'Live From Lincoln Center' will perform music composed by Mozart and Beethoven at their season premiere. Should be a great program.

Some program notes, "New York Philharmonic Opening Night Gala Concert. The New York Philharmonic opens its 2006-2007 season with music director Lorin Maazel leading a gala program of Beethoven and Mozart, with pianists Emanuel Ax and Yefim Bronfman as featured soloists. The program includes Beethoven's Egmont Overture, Mozart's Concerto for Two Pianos in E-flat and Beethoven's Symphony No. 3, 'Eroica.'"

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Thanks, Joy. I look forward to seeing it.

Comment

Me too NK! The Phoenix Symphony over the weekend performed Beethoven's Fidelio nd both Leonore's #2 and #3 along with Mozart's Flute Concerto. That must be the 'thing' this season is combining Mozart and Beethoven together. They will be performing Beethoven several times this season and have dubbed it 'Beethoven's Year'. Lots of good performances to look forward too! Next month I will be going to the Symphony Hall for a performance of Beethoven's Egmont Overture and hs Choral Fantasy. Looking forward to it!

------------------

Comment

After checking the local PBS listings it looks like that won't be carried here, bummer!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
          After checking the local PBS listings it looks like that won't be carried here, bummer!
          I am surprised at that as I thought that would be shown all over the west. I'm going to tape it!

------------------

Comment

Well, according to the PBS TV schedules here in North Carolina, "Live from Lincoln Center" will be on at 8 tonight. It's a shame PBS can't just broadcast it nationwide. I mean, Sorrano, what are they showing in its place where you live? Something better than a Mozart/Beethoven concert? Impossible.

Anyway, thanks again, Joy, for telling us about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier:
              Well, according to the PBS TV schedules here in North Carolina, "Live from Lincoln Center" will be on at 8 tonight. It's a shame PBS can't just broadcast it nationwide. I mean, Sorrano, what are they showing in its place where you live? Something better than a Mozart/Beethoven concert? Impossible.

Anyway, thanks again, Joy, for telling us about this.
              Let me know what your thoughts on it are tomorrow.

------------------

Comment

Well, I just finished watching this and feel all three works were superbly performed. I feel the Egmont overture, especially, was done well. It was a poignant and dramatic interpretation; obviously a Beethoven masterpiece.

I was also glad to see one of my favorite Mozart concertos the K. 365 for Two Pianos played. The last movement was just Mozartian brilliance: an explosion of musical crystals and some sublime themes played by the piano duo.

The Eroica symphony surprised me because it was impeccably decent, if that makes sense. I've heard a lot of butchered, weak, even incomprehensible executions. The only movement that failed a bit was the last one. The first and second, though, were played with such gusto and careful dynamics. I mean, it's not the best I've heard, but compared to some of the awful deliveries out there, this one shined. What's more, I really enjoyed the intermission part where we got behind the scenes, watching the music director improve and tweak as many phrases and technicalities to ensure the best performance (and also his personal vision).

Thanks again, Joy, for informing us about this; it was an outstanding concert and I enjoyed it.

Comment

Unfortunately, the idiots that listed the programs in the TV guide superimposed a special on Leonard Bernstein's music in place of this. (Otherwise I would have been able to record it!) As it was, I tuned in right at the great fugue in the 2nd movement and remained absolutely transfixed throughout the movement. I noticed, too, that everyone in the orchestra had very somber and serious expressions.

I thought the 3rd and 4th movements were a bit slow (I think my latest listening to Norrington has still some residual effects) but I thought they were effective, regardless. The players played as though they meant it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

I thought the 3rd and 4th movements were a bit slow (I think my latest listening to Norrington has still some residual effects) but I thought they were effective, regardless. The players played as though they meant it.
                    I agree about the 3rd and 4th movements being rather slow but maybe that's how LM works. At the beginning when they played 'The Star Spangled Banner' (as is tradition) it was quite slow but nice. I enjoyed it all though, you can't go wrong with a Beethoven line up like that.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                      I agree about the 3rd and 4th movements being rather slow but maybe that's how LM works. At the beginning when they played 'The Star Spangled Banner' (as is tradition) it was quite slow but nice. I enjoyed it all though, you can't go wrong with a Beethoven line up like that.

I also had the disadvantage of the TV sound instead of the stereo sound, so that makes a big difference in the general output. To have switched to the stereo (because of my current setup) I would have lost 3 or 4 minutes and that was simply not acceptable!!

Thanks, again, for the heads-up on this!

Comment

Working...
                      X