Death of Ira Brilliant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death of Ira Brilliant

Just came across this news item. Ira Brilliant was one of the two Beethoven enthusiasts that purchased the locket containing a lock of the composer's hair.

Beethoven scholar Ira Brilliant dies
    RETIRED REAL ESTATE DEVELOPER ESTABLISHED CENTER FOR BEETHOVEN STUDIES AT SJSU
    By Mark de la ViƱa and Kim Vo
    Mercury News

Ira Brilliant of the Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies at San Jose State University.

Ira Brilliant, whose enthusiasm for Beethoven led to the founding of a research center at San Jose State University focused on the celebrated composer's life and music, died Sunday night of congestive heart failure. He was 84.

The retired Phoenix real estate developer established the Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies in 1983 when he donated 75 first-editions of Beethoven music to the university.

His continued donations over the years -- from Beethoven's symphonies to his letters to his hair -- made San Jose one of the eminent Beethoven research centers in the world and the only one in North America.

``With all of his shortcomings and human failings,'' Brilliant told the Mercury News in 1983, ``Beethoven still is the shining example of what man is capable of achieving.''

Brilliant's approach to Beethoven was ``a delight in the music itself,'' said D.W. Krummel, a professor emeritus of library science and music at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. ``Beethoven talked to him and it moved him to a degree that he was willing to devote a lot of his attention, funds and respect to it.''

Brilliant traced his love for Beethoven back to his college days, where he listened to the composer's works on 78 RPM records.

``Beethoven once said, `He who understands my music will shed the miseries of the world,'' Brilliant told the Mercury News in 1983. His favorite Beethoven piece changed depending on his mood, he said.

``His styles covered about all the emotions that we experience,'' Brilliant had said. ``You have to know what he was going through in his own personal life and how he released his emotions through his music.''

Brilliant began his collection in 1975. He had approached Arizona State University about a possible center, he had said, but the university didn't want to focus on only one composer.

He later told a San Jose economics professor about his hopes for a center, when the professor suggested he call Arlene Okerlund, then dean of SJSU's School of Humanities and the Arts. Her enthusiasm convinced Brilliant to donate his collection, which included a first copy, first issue of Beethoven's Trio in B Flat Major, Op. 97, ``The Archduke,'' published in 1816. Its cover notes its dedication to Beethoven's patron, the Archduke Rudolph of Austria.

Today, the center claims it has the biggest collection of Beethoven items outside Europe. Its holdings include manuscripts, more than 300 first editions and conversation books (as the composer grew deaf, visitors and servants had to write their comments).

The holdings also include letters written in Beethoven's own terrible penmanship -- complete with misspellings -- and a lock of the composer's unruly hair, which Brilliant and others bought at Sotheby's in 1994. After examining the hair, researchers speculated the moody composer who had a host of ailments might have suffered from lead poisoning.

In addition, the center at SJSU sponsors young pianists competitions, works with the American Beethoven Society and publishes the Beethoven Journal. A family has also loaned the center remnants of Beethoven's skull, though they are not on display.

The evolution is in keeping with the ambitions Brilliant laid out during a 1985 ceremony for the center. During a speech for the fledgling center, he said it could one day venture into scholarship, newsletters for Beethoven fans and innovative programs for ``the innocents'' -- those unfamiliar with the genius' work.

``Ira put his own personal mark on the whole thing and kept his eye on it the whole time,'' said Joseph Kerman, a musicologist who sits on the center's board. ``It was his ambition, he realized it, and I think he was very happy with how it turned out.''

He is survived by his brother Stanley, wife Irma, son Robert, daughter-in-law Marsha, and grandson Alan.

Sad news Michael - I remember a documentary when he described his excitement at acquiring the Beethoven locks of hair. A nice man.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

If the organisation genuinely has Beethoven's skull (or fragments thereof) they should send it back to Vienna to be buried with this what's left of him in the Zentralfriedhof. Reading this left a sour taste in my mouth.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

That is truly a shame. We shall miss him here in Phoenix. I met him a couple of times and got to talk to him at length about Beethoven and his museum where he handed me some brochures about his museum and autographed them for me and invited me to visit his museum in San Jose, California, which I did. I even got to sit by him while attending some performances at the Symphony Hall which he loved to attend and was a patron. He was often there particularly at the Beethoven performances as Beethoven was his favourite. He was a very nice gentleman and very educated and gracious.

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 09-12-2006).]

Comment

As Peter mentioned above, Ira Brilliant appears in the TV documentary "Beethoven's Hair" and I was watching it last night with my daughter not realising that he had died. He will be sadly missed.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 09-12-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

If the organisation genuinely has Beethoven's skull (or fragments thereof) they should send it back to Vienna to be buried with this what's left of him in the Zentralfriedhof. Reading this left a sour taste in my mouth.

They don't "own" it, if one can be said to truly own such a thing, it is on loan, "owned" by a private family.

Of course, the same argument could be made for all human remains in the world's museums...

Cheers,
            Gurn
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
              They don't "own" it, if one can be said to truly own such a thing, it is on loan, "owned" by a private family.

Of course, the same argument could be made for all human remains in the world's museums...

Cheers,
              Gurn
              Well if you want to look at it like that according to the article the skull isn't even on display, it's a curio reserved only for the 'select' to gain access. Usually skulls in museums are of some scientific interest. Beethoven's has no real value in this respect, certainly not anymore. Ownership isn't really the issue.

Call me Mr.Strange, but I don't like the idea of Beethoven's head gathering dust in a box on a shelf in a storeroom of a US museum. It's simply immoral, end of story.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-13-2006).]

Comment

Ira Brilliant was a great man. I remember Joy once telling me she was thrilled to have met him.

Shakespeare was right in saying that an unmusical man should not be trusted and Brilliant did so much for the appreciation of Beethoven and, therefore, of great music. He was a great man.

I agree with Rod that the collecting of skulls or fragments of skulls is ghoulish. There is no reason why plaster casts cannot be made of skulls or fragments of skulls if these are deemed to have value to academic research, so that these human remains can at last be buried in a dignified fashion. (I feel exactly the same way about aboriginal remains in museums).

Whether locks of human hair of Beethoven, Mozart etc. should be kept is an interesting question. But there are reasonable grounds for saying hair samples are of real value to DNA research. So that's a different issue from that of skulls.

Comment

A great man indeed and will be sadly missed. We have much to thank him for. I'm sure the legacy of Beethoven and the The Ira F. Brilliant Centre for Beethoven Studies will continue to thrive

------------------
                  Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be
                  Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Here is a site to read about him and is a memorial tribute to him at the Beethoven Centre.
                    http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/beethoven/...brilliant.html

I also agree that having skulls or fragments of skulls can be rather macbre. When I viewed Beethoven's hair in San Jose the curator had to go in the back to retrieve it for me to see, it was not on display. Then Ira Brilliant brought it to Phoenix along with many other items from his museum and displayed them in the Symphony Hall during the Beethoven marathon.
                    An excellent viewing show indeed.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                      Here is a site to read about him and is a memorial tribute to him at the Beethoven Centre.
                      http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/beethoven/...brilliant.html

I also agree that having skulls or fragments of skulls can be rather macbre. When I viewed Beethoven's hair in San Jose the curator had to go in the back to retrieve it for me to see, it was not on display. Then Ira Brilliant brought it to Phoenix along with many other items from his museum and displayed them in the Symphony Hall during the Beethoven marathon.
                      An excellent viewing show indeed.

The issue with the hair is rather perverse also. I wouldn't mind if people were equally as keen about some of his less well known music.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio:
                        A great man indeed and will be sadly missed. We have much to thank him for. I'm sure the legacy of Beethoven and the The Ira F. Brilliant Centre for Beethoven Studies will continue to thrive

Absolutely Fidelio - My best wishes to the centre and their excellent work.

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                        X