No announcement yet.

Glenn Gould Plays Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Frankl has put the whole argument extremely well. Any interpretation has to start from a position of respect for the score. Beethoven went to enormous lengths to make his intentions clear as has already been pointed out.

C.P.E.Bach's Essay on the True Art of Playing Keyboard Instruments (1753) is an example from an earlier period whereby these matters were not considered as unimportant - Unfortunately Bach was not consistent and there still remains much ambiguity in the realisation of ornamentation. One must know the conventions of the period and the composer's preferences and also consider the context in which the ornament appears.

Having said that, I in common with many who criticise Gould's approach find much to admire in him - his intellect, technique and undoubted passion are very infectious! He was a very eccentric character and I think unfortunately allowed this side of his nature to colour his playing.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Frankli:
      And here is another performer, that almost makes me forget the composer! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xa2wVBza98
      Oh my god...

Comment

Can you get a computer virus from these (or other) youtube sites?

------------------
        To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
        susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
        To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
        susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Pure genius cannot be analyzed. Glenn Gould was pure genius at the keyboard. His Beethoven interpretations, with all due respect to what anyone else here might otherwise think, are works of pure genius. Let both men rest in peace!

PS... thanks for bringing these remarkable video clips t our attention.

------------------
          Must it be? It must be!
          Must it be? It must be!

Comment

[QUOTE Robert]
            I respect everything you say. Must quote the end where you say -
            'My definition of a good performance is one that makes me forget the performer. It means that the performer is "merely" the intermediary between me and the composer's work. Glenn Gould doesn't make me forget the performer, though his way of playing certainly is intriguing'.
            Fine, and how about this ? My definition of a good performance is one that makes me forget the composer. It means the composer AND the performer are merely intermediaries between me and that which the composer was first trying to express.
            [/QUOTE]

Gould is your man, Robert!
            And I honestly confess to you that my love for Beethoven was awakened at 12, while listening to James Last's recomposition of the larghetto from the 7th.

Thanks for the great 'Mozart 40' Great !!!
            Alias the Bottle Symphony. :-)

[This message has been edited by Frankli (edited 09-10-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by sjwenger:
              Can you get a computer virus from these (or other) youtube sites?
              I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ateach Asc:
                Pure genius cannot be analyzed. Glenn Gould was pure genius at the keyboard. His Beethoven interpretations, with all due respect to what anyone else here might otherwise think, are works of pure genius. Let both men rest in peace!

PS... thanks for bringing these remarkable video clips t our attention.

I have paid good money to hear Gould's idea of Beethoven. The word 'genius' was the last thing to come to mind. As a Beethoven interpreter he is an irrelevance, a nothing...

------------------
                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Dear Rod,

Perhaps time will change your view of Glenn Gould. I do hope so.

Anyway, I've been lucky to find a short discussion on Gould's approach to Beethoven's written instructions. It's contained in the last few minutes of the following film on youtube.com. (Notice that you will have to first tolerate Bach's majestic 4th Violin Sonata to get to it - ha !- and what a pleasure that is for you, I'm sure. Regards.

Gould and Menuhin Play Bach Violin Sonata 4 (pt 2)

R

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Dear Rod,

Perhaps time will change your view of Glenn Gould. I do hope so.

Anyway, I've been lucky to find a short discussion on Gould's approach to Beethoven's written instructions. It's contained in the last few minutes of the following film on youtube.com. (Notice that you will have to first tolerate Bach's majestic 4th Violin Sonata to get to it - ha !- and what a pleasure that is for you, I'm sure. Regards.

Gould and Menuhin Play Bach Violin Sonata 4 (pt 2)

R

You aren't trying to be funny are you?

Comment

Privately, yes.

Comment

Privately, yes.
                        I think Sorrano is referring to the fact that yet again you have provided a 'non-link' to YouTube.

But I listened to a one of Gardiner's Bach cantata CDs yesterday in HMV. To be honest I thought a lot of what I heard was ineffectual, by Handel's standards certainly - about as interesting as Telemann, which is saying something. But as you know I believe this music is hugely overrated.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-11-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                          I think Sorrano is referring to the fact that yet again you have provided a 'non-link' to YouTube.

But I listened to a one of Gardiner's Bach cantata CDs yesterday in HMV. To be honest I thought a lot of what I heard was ineffectual, by Handel's standards certainly - about as interesting as Telemann, which is saying something. But as you know I believe this music is hugely overrated.

I was referring to this quote: "Perhaps time will change your view of Glenn Gould. I do hope so."

Comment

I did not provide a link, true. But I named the forum and I named the specific film.

I entirely respect Rod's opinion - I just hope that, in time, he may think differently, that's all. But his choice of composers is, I admit, superb.

Comment

I did not provide a link, true. But I named the forum and I named the specific film.

I entirely respect Rod's opinion - I just hope that, in time, he may think differently, that's all. But his choice of composers is, I admit, superb.

For your last comment in particular another present will come your way at our next conference.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-11-2006).]

Comment

Working...
                              X