2 great Romantic works in d-minor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 great Romantic works in d-minor

Yesterday I heard 2 great but rather neglected works - by chance both in d minor. Schumann's Violin Concerto and Dvorak's symphony No. 7.
    They absolutely captured me. I can hardly think of any work which breathes more the spirit of Beethoven than this Dvorak symphony especially the powerful first and melodic second movement. I think that this work is pretty much neglected compared to the famous New World symphony No. 9.

Even more neglected is this late Schumann Violin Concerto. Can you believe that it wasn't performed until the 1930s because especially Clara Schumman and his friends had held it back?
    I love this work for it's passion. The pains of his soul because of his mental illnes are very obvious in the first movement. The second movement moves me very much with it's intimate musical language. Does anyone of you know this concerto?

[This message has been edited by gprengel (edited 09-03-2006).]

Yes I know of it and the story behind it, but alas I have only heard parts of the second movement which seemed quite beautiful. Clara and Brahms considered it to be of poor quality as it was written when Schumann's mental health was declining.

I've never really warmed to Dvorak's 7th (except the scherzo) and this is probably my fault as everyone says it is a fine piece! I shall perservere. Another rarely performed D minor work is the Frank symphony, again it has never appealed but this could also be something lacking in me!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 09-03-2006).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, I know it well, and love it like you do. If I am right Schumann was inspired to compose it this way by Beethoven's example; it was commissioned, and later on rejected, by Joachim, who probably simply didn't understand it. The two concerti have much in common in that they are both anti-virtuosic but very lyrical, with a much different, more intimate relationship between the solo instrument and the orchestra than was common (the soloist being more humble), even in Schumann's time. Not very interesting for a violinist with a big ego, I guess, who rather shows off with Paganini!

[This message has been edited by Frankli (edited 09-03-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel:
        Yesterday I heard 2 great but rather neglected works - by chance both in d minor. Schumann's Violin Concerto and Dvorak's symphony No. 7.
        They absolutely captured me. I can hardly think of any work which breathes more the spirit of Beethoven than this Dvorak symphony especially the powerful first and melodic second movement. I think that this work is pretty much neglected compared to the famous New World symphony No. 9.

Even more neglected is this late Schumann Violin Concerto. Can you believe that it wasn't performed until the 1930s because especially Clara Schumman and his friends had held it back?
        I love this work for it's passion. The pains of his soul because of his mental illnes are very obvious in the first movement. The second movement moves me very much with it's intimate musical language. Does anyone of you know this concerto?

[This message has been edited by gprengel (edited 09-03-2006).]
        Dear Gerd;

Actually, it was Joseph Joachim who held back the Schumann violin concerto. Schumann sent him the manuscript for Joachim's professional input on the solo violin parts. By the time he got around to it, Schumann was dead. Joachim considered the manuscript as his, and stipulated in his will that the work is not to be performed until the 100th anniversary of Schumann's death. In 1930, Joachim's granddaughter dreamt that her grandfather instructed her to have the work performed immediately, and not to wait till 1956.

Gerd, I agree with your assessment of the Dvorak 7th symphony and the Schumann violin concerto.

Hofrat
        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Very interesting about the Schumann's work, Hofrat. Here's more,

"The first movement returns again and again to a deep inner struggle pierced by moments of poignant reflection. Recurring trills in the solo line seem to reflect Destiny's headshakes in a repeated refusal of the inevitable. The second movement's deep melancholy is breathtakingly beautiful. A 'cello melody, syncopated as if there is a heartbeat between thought and reality, introduces the movement. Schumann uses the bassoon to great effect, adding it to the colours weaving through profound sadness. The third movement is linked to the second, and in awakening hope, brings an optimistic, triumphant conclusion."

It is a beautiful piece and one people should really take the time to enjoy.

Also like the Dvorak's 7th as well.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I'm not sure if I've heard the violin concerto; I think it was played (or at least a movement) not to long ago on either KBAQ or KBYU. The d minor symphony of Dvorak is probably my favorite of the 9. And the Franck symphony is one I like quite well, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
              I'm not sure if I've heard the violin concerto; I think it was played (or at least a movement) not to long ago on either KBAQ or KBYU. The d minor symphony of Dvorak is probably my favorite of the 9. And the Franck symphony is one I like quite well, too.
              Right - I'd better start listening again! I particularly like Dvorak's 8th.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Dear Gerd;

Actually, there are 2 D-minor symphonies by Dvorak: the 4th symphony opus 13 and the 7th symphony opus 70.

Opus 13 is an exciting youthful work, while opus 70 is, naturally, a deeper and more mature work.

Hofrat
                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:
                  Dear Gerd;

Actually, there are 2 D-minor symphonies by Dvorak: the 4th symphony opus 13 and the 7th symphony opus 70.

Opus 13 is an exciting youthful work, while opus 70 is, naturally, a deeper and more mature work.

Hofrat
                  All of the earlier symphonies are quite nice, too! I will have to go through them again.

Comment

Dear Hofrat,
                    yes I know and love also the 4th symphony op.13 in d-minor, especially the "Andante sostenuto e molto cantabile" is absolutely irresistable!! First it start a bit like the Tannhäuser Overture from Wagner but then it unfolds a typical Dvorak melodic beauty that just carries you away. The orchestration also is fantastic.
                    I love also the second theme from the first movement and the slawic march in the 3rd movement.

Comment

Working...
                    X