New page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New page

I don't know if anyone here has noticed, but there is a new page on this site called 'Selected works' which will be updated fortnightly and will concentrate on the more obscure works - to kick things off, I've chosen the trio WoO.37.

If anyone wants to contribute or recommend works for future discussion they are welcome. Any contributions will of course be credited. I could do with some more info or recommended recordings for WoO.37 for example! An mp3 would be nice also!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 05-14-2001).]
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    I don't know if anyone here has noticed, but there is a new page on this site called 'Selected works' which will be updated fortnightly and will concentrate on the more obscure works - to kick things off, I've chosen the trio WoO.37.
    If anyone wants to contribute or recommend works for future discussion they are welcome. Any contributions will of course be credited. I could do with some more info or recommended recordings for WoO.37 for example! An mp3 would be nice also!
    How do we discuss - I don't see a link for adding comments?

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
      How do we discuss - I don't see a link for adding comments?
      Well you can either email me with your suggestions or post here.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well you can either email me with your suggestions or post here.
        I suggest you archive your efforts over time, at least the text if not the mp3s, to be accessed by links. No point wasting it after 2 weeks. I'll see what I can do about the mp3.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I suggest you archive your efforts over time, at least the text if not the mp3s, to be accessed by links. No point wasting it after 2 weeks. I'll see what I can do about the mp3.

Thanks Rod. I agree with the archive idea. I hope this will encourage people to listen to the less well known works .

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

An mp3 would be nice also!
            Here is a mp3 of the first movement from the 'Complete Chamber Music for Flute' VoxBox, cat no: CDX5000. Some of the music in this set is not Beethovens however.

WoO37 is nicely played, but would have been considerably more interesting on authentic instruments. Never mind, this music's good...
            WoO37.mp3

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-15-2001).]

Comment

Here is a mp3 of the first movement from the 'Complete Chamber Music for Flute' VoxBox, cat no: CDX5000. Some of the music in this set is not Beethovens however.

Thanks - I've used the link from here if that's ok as I'm only keeping it for a fortnight or would you rather I uploaded it?

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks - I've used the link from here if that's ok as I'm only keeping it for a fortnight or would you rather I uploaded it?
                You can use my link.

------------------

Comment

You can use my link.

Cheers! I'm still waiting for suggestions for the next work you'd all like featured! Remember it has to be a fairly obscure piece. I hope you all enjoy listening to WoO.37 - why are these works so unknown?

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Cheers! I'm still waiting for suggestions for the next work you'd all like featured! Remember it has to be a fairly obscure piece. I hope you all enjoy listening to WoO.37 - why are these works so unknown?
                    I think you should stick with obscure pieces, this will give people the opportunity to hear and read about stuff they haven't heard before - as you say there are dozens of first class B compositions that people rarely hear or even know about. Thanks to living in London, I've got good recordings of most of the obscure pieces that could be used here. Whilst we're at WoO37, how about 36 and 38?

------------------

Comment

I think you should stick with obscure pieces, this will give people the opportunity to hear and read about stuff they haven't heard before - as you say there are dozens of first class B compositions that people rarely hear or even know about. Thanks to living in London, I've got good recordings of most of the obscure pieces that could be used here. Whilst we're at WoO37, how about 36 and 38?

Sounds fine - the page will be updated at the beginning and middle of each month. So let's do WoO36 for June.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Sounds fine - the page will be updated at the beginning and middle of each month. So let's do WoO36 for June.
                        OK, however I noticed you did not include the label and catalogue info in your text. I think you should do that, on moral grounds!

------------------

Comment

OK, however I noticed you did not include the label and catalogue info in your text. I think you should do that, on moral grounds!

Quite right! Incidentally if you have any additional info on these works that I haven't been able to supply (particularly musical details), that would be very helpful as well - I don't possess the complete works at the moment, but I think it would be sensible to get some of the complete edition on DG.

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 05-17-2001).]
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Re WoO37, B also wrote what may have been a Triple Concerto using the same solo instruments, flute, bassoon and piano with a small orchestra but only a tiny fragment remains. At least one recording of it has been made by D.G. and it has been used as a filler on one of their Beethoven releases as well as in the Complete Edition. It is described as "Romance cantabile for piano, flute and bassoon accompanied by two oboes and strings, in E minor" Hess 13.
                            Although completed by the ubiquitous Willy Hess, it's a smashing piece - a real stunner by a sixteen-year old. It should knock Max Bruch off the top of the Classic FM charts.
                            Oh, Rachmaninov did that, didn't he?

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                              Re WoO37, B also wrote what may have been a Triple Concerto using the same solo instruments, flute, bassoon and piano with a small orchestra but only a tiny fragment remains. At least one recording of it has been made by D.G. and it has been used as a filler on one of their Beethoven releases as well as in the Complete Edition. It is described as "Romance cantabile for piano, flute and bassoon accompanied by two oboes and strings, in E minor" Hess 13.
                              Although completed by the ubiquitous Willy Hess, it's a smashing piece - a real stunner by a sixteen-year old. It should knock Max Bruch off the top of the Classic FM charts.
                              Oh, Rachmaninov did that, didn't he?

Michael
                              I think I mention Hess 13 briefly in the 'concertos' link but I've never heard it. Is in the DG complete works edition? I have a recording based on B's early violin concerto fragments that lasts 16 minutes (!), nice music but apparently it is a far from scholarly reconstruction. I suspect B completed a number of works in his teens that are now lost.

I was surprised at Bruch's continual high position in the vote. Not that this vote is worth anything other than mocking laughter, even if B gets a few mentions.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X