Gerhard von Breuning question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gerhard von Breuning question:

I am occupied at the moment with Gerhard von Breuning. My work at the moment centres around the later life of von Breuning around the time of his notation and publication of Aus Dem Schwarzspanierhaus.

My question is as follows: Does anyone have more detailed information about the adult Von Breuning - his residence when he composed his memoires, where he practiced medecine (private practice, but was there an address...), his family situation, married (?) Children (?) and any other information that anyone may have reagrding 1874 through his death in 1892 - his burial place, final residences, etc.

Thank you - if you can come up with something!

I'll look into this Hershey and see what I can find - interesting as he was the last to die who personally knew Beethoven.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      I'll look into this Hershey and see what I can find - interesting as he was the last to die who personally knew Beethoven.

Dear Peter;

And most probably, he was the last person to see Beethoven alive!!

Hofrat
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Very interesting question.......

All I know is:

After his father’s death Gerhard was raised by an uncle, Josef Ritter von Vering. He attended medcial school at the Josephinian Military Academy and qualified as a physician in 1837. After serving as a doctor in the army from 1852 he had a flourishing private practice in Vienna.

It is possible that he gave the 9 pieces of Beethoven’s skull as a gift to Dr. Seligmann in 1863, as he was responsible for the 9 pieces during the 1863 exhumation.

Fidelio

------------------
        Must it be.....it must be
        Fidelio

Comment

I can't add much to Fidelio's post, except that as well as Aus dem Schwarzspanierhaus he published 3 papers - an essay on the skulls of Schubert and Beethoven, a series of extracts from the conversation books (mainly between Grillparzar and Holz) and an article containing the first publication of 3 Beethoven letters.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

This appears in the Beethoven Journal, Vol. 20, Summer/Winter 2005 - Gerhard von Breuning. "The Skulls of Beethoven and Schubert" (1886). Translated by Hannah Leibmann and edited by William Meredith. (first complete English translation).

It may or may not help...I can't put my hand on it at the mo!

An email to William Meredith at the Amercian Beethoven Centre and/or Dr Michael Ladenburger, Director at the Beethovenhaus may prove more useful in your search to find more information about Gerhard von Breuning.

Fidelio

------------------
            Fidelio

Comment

Thank you kindly for the information posted - indeed, I have had similar information, which is known, but for some reason, details about Gerhard's personal life don't exist beyond the historical information that he gives in his memoires and his papers. I will be doing some more research and will post any information that I come up with to add the board.

On another matter with regard to B connections - has anyone been in touch with, visited with, or maded any form of contact with the Beethoven descendents who are alive - ie: Urban or Weidinger?

H

Comment

Originally posted by Hershey:
                Thank you kindly for the information posted - indeed, I have had similar information, which is known, but for some reason, details about Gerhard's personal life don't exist beyond the historical information that he gives in his memoires and his papers. I will be doing some more research and will post any information that I come up with to add the board.

On another matter with regard to B connections - has anyone been in touch with, visited with, or maded any form of contact with the Beethoven descendents who are alive - ie: Urban or Weidinger?

H
                No....would be good to though. Please post any info you find...thanks

------------------
                Fidelio

Fidelio

Comment

I am curious to know it because I know nothing about them! Yes, I will possibly be banished from this forum...Please, don't...

Comment

On another matter with regard to B connections - has anyone been in touch with, visited with, or maded any form of contact with the Beethoven descendents who are alive - ie: Urban or Weidinger? H

This would be quite a task indeed. If we only knew the given name of any of the Urbans or Weidinger family descendents because this would help in the search. I took a look in one of the on-line telephone books here in Vienna and there are 182 listings for Weidinger and 759 listings for Urban. What's really funny is that our downstairs neighbors from our old flat are named Urban. I never asked them if they had any connection to Beethoven though.

I'd be interested to see if anyone can come up with a current name in either of these families that may still be living here in Vienna.

------------------
                    "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly."
                    - Beethoven 1804.
                    "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood:

This would be quite a task indeed. If we only knew the given name of any of the Urbans or Weidinger family descendents because this would help in the search. I took a look in one of the on-line telephone books here in Vienna and there are 182 listings for Weidinger and 759 listings for Urban. What's really funny is that our downstairs neighbors from our old flat are named Urban. I never asked them if they had any connection to Beethoven though.

I'd be interested to see if anyone can come up with a current name in either of these families that may still be living here in Vienna.

Have you seen the family tree link on this website? Some ideas there I think.
                      Fidelio

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio:
                        Have you seen the family tree link on this website? Some ideas there I think.

Unfortunately this family tree doesn't help me at all. I somehow feel that the last one died some 80 years ago and if that is the case then there won't be any living today in Vienna. Who knows...

------------------
                        "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly."
                        - Beethoven 1804.
                        "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Unfortunately this family tree doesn't help me at all. I somehow feel that the last one died some 80 years ago and if that is the case then there won't be any living today in Vienna. Who knows...

A trip to the states then?

------------------
                          Fidelio

Fidelio

Comment

No, No Andrea, there are still some alive.

Here are some names and birthdates of some who were born in Vienna:

Peter Weidinger, 23.04.1939
                            Ulrike Anna Trampler? , 09.01.1942
                            Annemarie Edith Trampler?, 23.08.1947
                            Renate Maria Luise Urban, 04.11.1942
                            Eduard August Urban, 09.02.1948
                            Heinz Hermann Karl Neumann 13.07.1947

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

No, No Andrea, there are still some alive.

Here are some names and birthdates of some who were born in Vienna:

Peter Weidinger, 23.04.1939
                              Ulrike Anna Trampler? , 09.01.1942
                              Annemarie Edith Trampler?, 23.08.1947
                              Renate Maria Luise Urban, 04.11.1942
                              Eduard August Urban, 09.02.1948
                              Heinz Hermann Karl Neumann 13.07.1947

I looked up these names in the Harold phone book here and there are 7 Peter Weidingers, 3 Renate Urbans, 2 Eduard Urbans and 3 Heinz Neumanns living here in Vienna. I wonder if any of them are the ones you listed. Very interesting to say the least.

------------------
                              - Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Working...
                              X