Another Deaf Composer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Deaf Composer

Far less famous than Beethoven but a truly gifted composer who also went deaf was Ignaz Holzbauer (b.1711 Vienna, d.1793 Mannheim). From the late 1770’s this composer could hear virtually nothing. He still wrote the first great German Singspiel, ‘Gunther von Schwarzburg’ (1777).

(Holzbauer's works include some 70 Symphonies, 9 operas, masses and motets, ballet scores; string quartets, notturni, sonatas etc).

Originally posted by robert newman:

Far less famous than Beethoven but a truly gifted composer who also went deaf was Ignaz Holzbauer (b.1711 Vienna, d.1793 Mannheim). From the late 1770’s this composer could hear virtually nothing. He still wrote the first great German Singspiel, ‘Gunther von Schwarzburg’ (1777).

(Holzbauer's works include some 70 Symphonies, 9 operas, masses and motets, ballet scores; string quartets, notturni, sonatas etc).
    Dear Robert;

I submit the name of Felix Draeseke (1835-1913) to the deaf composers list. I understand that Brahms considered im his chief rival.

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Great, Hofrat !

Comment

And let's not forget the names of Bedrich Smetana (1824-1884) and Gabriel Faure (1845-1924) who both continued composing after their deafness occurred and I believe that Grieg was deaf in one ear.

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          And let's not forget the names of Bedrich Smetana (1824-1884) and Gabriel Faure (1845-1924) who both continued composing after their deafness occurred and I believe that Grieg was deaf in one ear.

Bravo, JOY!

Comment

To me the greater handicap for a composer is blindness which affected Bach and Handel, both having suffered at the hands of the same incompetent surgeon (not that a competent one in those days would have faired much better!). Most remarkable though is the blind and paralysed Delius dictating his music to Eric Fenby, a quite extraordinary feat.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I think it's difficult no matter what the handicap would be but I did not know about Delius! What a tragedy and so hard to overcome. It's incredible how strong the human fortitude is.

------------------

Comment

Well...I'm a tone-deaf wannabe composer..does that count aswell?

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                  I think it's difficult no matter what the handicap would be but I did not know about Delius! What a tragedy and so hard to overcome. It's incredible how strong the human fortitude is.

There is an excellent 1968 film "Song of Summer" based on the memoirs of Eric Fenby, with superb performances by the actors.

It is available on Amazon.uk but I'm not sure about Amazon.com.

Here is a link so you can read the reviews.
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...lance&n=283926

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

I'm surprised noone here seems to have mentioned William Boyce (September 11, 1711 – February 7, 1779) who, like Beethoven, became deaf during his musical life but nevertheless continued to compose... alas without ever hearing the new musical developments in his times.

------------------
                    Must it be? It must be!
                    Must it be? It must be!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                      There is an excellent 1968 film "Song of Summer" based on the memoirs of Eric Fenby, with superb performances by the actors.

It is available on Amazon.uk but I'm not sure about Amazon.com.

Here is a link so you can read the reviews.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...lance&n=283926

Thanks Peter! I did look all this up and found it very interesting. Delius contracted syphillis in his early years and that brought on his blindness and the lessening use of his limbs.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                      X